Author Topic: So I'm sittin' here wondering....  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Marcy Bean

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
So I'm sittin' here wondering....
« on: June 25, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »
I have recently started playing with the electrolysis tank we set up. (which I really like!)  
What happens if you crank that baby up to the starting mode of 200 amps instead of 40?

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
Re: So I'm sittin' here wondering....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
IMO anything over 20-30amps for an electro is wasted. 200amps to me would be dangerous. It would heat up your solution in a short time. My advice is don't do it and just think of this, if you do, do it, you might only do it once.. [smiley=teu42.gif]
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:50:48 AM »
What Sam said.

It would kinda be like baking a loaf of bread for ½ hour @ 700º instead of an hour @350º.  Might work in theory, but no place else.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Tom Penkava

• WAGS member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 01:02:23 AM »
Also what they said.  I have tried my  welder on various high amp settings, doesn't work all that well.  ::) ::)

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:48:37 AM »
Tom I think that a welder will boil the water faster than any stove I have ever had though  ::)

Using the 200 Amp setting on your charger for any length of time will lead to its demise.  That setting is to be used only for very short periods of time.  Have I tried it with mine? Yes.  Did it work? Yes.  I ran it for about 3 minutes and man did it put off the bubbles!!

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
Jeff is right, a welder does boil water fast.  I found it did work pretty well and fast but it uses a lot of electricity and you have to put water in often.  Kind of looks like you are at Yellowstone park when it is running - lots of bubbles and steam.

As far as the 200 amp setting, I do use it a lot of the time, particularly when starting a new piece.  I do watch the meter and switch it down to the 40 amp setting when it draws 20 amps or more.

The only problem I've seen with the charger at 200 amps is that it burns out the little bulb behind the meter a bit faster.  No problem though, it is a standard automotive bulb that just plugs in.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:34:06 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Marcy Bean

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 02:14:01 PM »
I figured some of you might have tried it. I haven't done it yet , but may out of curiosity. Our charger is about 20 years old and the 200 amp setting is timed for starting and will only run for 90 seconds.

I'm watching yard and estate sales for another one as back up. Once I have that I may give it a jolt.

Marcy