Author Topic: Cleaning issue  (Read 780 times)

Offline Charles Bowman

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Cleaning issue
« on: November 24, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »
I have been doing a lot meat on the stove recently due to the cold. I am using an ERIE skillet that I just seasoned. I like to use Worcestershire sauce and it burns onto to the skillet to the point that I have been having to use the boiling water method to get it out. But when I do that it seems to take the seasoning with it. I always put a light coat of Crisco in the pan afterwards, but it doesn't seem to help much. I have also tried using a copper scrubby but that doesn't seem to work either. Does anybody have any ideas to help me with my problem? Do I just need to keep it up and have more patience? Thank you in advance.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Cleaning issue
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
A copper scrubbie is going to not only remove seasoning, it will leave copper color/particulate behind....

Newly seasoned pans just need to be used gently at first, until the seasoning builds a bit.  If you know there is something you are cooking,that is affecting the new seasoning, then avoid cooking it in the newly seasoned pan... i.e. sugary bacon, and now, apparently some ingredient in the  Worcestershire sauce.(possibly the corn syrup and sugar).
Many here highly recommend multiple batches of cornbread to build the seasoning, before using the skillet to cook other foods.

Offline Charles Bowman

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Cleaning issue
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
I guess I'll have stop with the sauce for a while, thought I love it so much. I have done the cornbread thing before and worked pretty good. Unfortunately, I am currently on a diet that doesn't allow it so I guess I'll just have to watch what cook in it.