Author Topic: Lye bath cleaning inside a basement during winter  (Read 2833 times)

stringstretcher

Lye bath cleaning inside a basement during winter
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
Is it safe to put a lye bath cleaning station in a basement during the winter without causing problems.

Offline Mike Goulet

Re: Lye bath cleaning inside a basement during winter
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:51:55 AM »
I use a recycling bin with lock top , heavy duty plastic container

sits infront of the laundry basin

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »
Is it safe to put a lye bath cleaning station in a basement during the winter without causing problems.

Hello Charles. Its safe to put a lye bath in any part of your house any time of the year without causing any problems. Just be sure and keep a tight lid on it so it won't evaporate away. Or I will put it this way, as tight as possible, while one of the totes with the snap on top is good, its not absolutely necessary.

Offline Jeff Friend

• Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »
Charles,

What kind of problems are you concerned about?  Will it evaporate and cause your pipes to corrode?  No.  Will a leak cause a problem?  Yes, maybe a big problem.  Is it toxic?  Well, it could kill you if you drink it.  What if the nephew gets into it?  That would be a problem.

My lye bath is in the cellar year round.  I use a 35 gallon HDPE drum, so the probability of a leak is fairly low.  If you use a cheap storage tub with thin walls, you may want to consider secondary containment in case the container splits or a leak develops.

I do not worry about evaporation, so I never cover my drum.  I probably should because every now and then I leave the cellar door open and a neighborhood cat sneaks in.  Remember, the sodium hydroxide (lye) is a salt and it does not leave the bath as the water evaporates.  However, it is consumed in the reaction that converts grease to soap (ref The Casting Call Vol 5 No 2).

Jeff
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »
An additional thought...

I mix my indoor lye bath outside. 
This is the only time I have 'fumes'.
After mixing, I don't have a problem with any type of fumes or smell. I keep it covered.

Last winter's indoor setup, small, but helpful when I didn't feel like trekking thru snow and cold to the detached garage..... ::)

Lye Bath square white container, vinegar bath silver round can, and red coffee can is Evaporust... all sitting in a nice boot tray to catch the drips. (boot tray... Home Depot... less than $8, if they haven't doubled in price since last year... ;) )

Safety/Handling Concerns are the same as outdoor LB.... protect the skin and the face/eyes!

stringstretcher

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:27:59 AM »
One more question if I may.  Once out of the lye, and cleaned with down, how do you or what do you do to them to keep until you start your seasoning?   Just put some light oil to keep from surface rust?

Offline Janis Berzins

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
Out of the lye bath, I put them in a vinegar bath for a few hours. After that I rinse them, take the in and clean them with a stainless steel scrubbie and barkeepers friend. Then right into the oven for seasoning. I would not put any oil on them between cleaning and seasoning.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
Out of the lye bath, I put them in a vinegar bath for a few hours. After that I rinse them, take the in and clean them with a stainless steel scrubbie and barkeepers friend. Then right into the oven for seasoning. I would not put any oil on them between cleaning and seasoning.

This is good advice and I agree with it, EXCEPT for one thing. And that is the vinegar bath. I would only put them in if they are rusty and need to be put in the vinegar bath, otherwise if they came out nice and clean from the lye bath, and they very often do, then I would use the SS scrubbie on them and immediately start my seasoning.  :)

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
I only use BKF <sometimes> after the lye bath, never after derusting (whether electro or vinegar bath). 
If you are using BKF after pulling a piece from the vinegar bath, you are adding oxalic acid (BKF) to the acetic acid (vinegar) that the pan has been soaking in. I always use Dawn and SS scrubbie for final wash down, as vinegar is water soluble.

After derusting (if necessary), I always proceed to seasoning.  Setting the piece aside, even if dried, is just asking for oxidation to set in.

If you absolutely cannot complete the necessary steps, return the piece to the lye bath until your schedule permits.  (of course you will then need to repeat scrub downs and drying protocols.... ).

stringstretcher

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for the info

Offline Janis Berzins

• WAGS member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
Sorry Perry is correct, only use vinegar if rust is prevalent.

This is good advice and I agree with it, EXCEPT for one thing. And that is the vinegar bath. I would only put them in if they are rusty and need to be put in the vinegar bath, otherwise if they came out nice and clean from the lye bath, and they very often do, then I would use the SS scrubbie on them and immediately start my seasoning.  :)

Correct Perry, no need for vinegar without rust. However, I was under the impression the vinegar did neutralize the lye. Has anyone ever heard that?