Author Topic: New Electro Setup  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
New Electro Setup
« on: January 02, 2014, 03:23:39 PM »
Just wanted to post some pics of the new electro setup courtesy of Trevor's find at the scrapyard.
The stainless piece fits right inside a 40gal trash bucket that I made sure I put on wheels. The stainless support rod came out of a broken composter. The attachment piece is stainless all-thread. The battery charger I use has 55/20 amp settings. I run it @20amps. Used 1/2 tablespoon of washing soda per gallon water and get plenty of conductivity with 30 gallons of water in the barrel.
That's a number 5 Favorite smiley in the last pic. It looked brand new after 1hr in the tank. I keep the tank in the garage. It's been staying in the 40's there and runs like a charm. My lye bath is getting lonely now. There's no longer a backlog in it waiting for the vinegar scrub down.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: New Electro Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
AH... you live down there! ;)
Are you heading North anytime soon???

I've got 3 of them sitting down there waiting for Transport.... ;D

I still do my lye bath soaks, then into the electro....
If I don't stop buying iron, I will always have a backlog....

So I do run / set up an additional electro in the warmer months... and possibly a few more when I get those new pieces up here!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:48:53 PM by lillyc »

Offline Jeff Paden

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:00:59 AM »
I have pretty much the same setup.  I have a square bar (hollow) with thruholes on all for sides about every couple inches across the top and i have three pieces of all thread with a nut on each side to position the depth of the rod.  At the bottom i have vice grips with the rod replacing the nut at the back of the vice grip.  I can perfectly position pretty much anything like this and by varying depth can run 3 CI items at a time.
fighting iron deficiency... one skillet at a time...

Offline Trevor Lawrence

• Trust in the Lord
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
Looks Good Russell. Glad you were able to get the piece of SS. I have run mine every day since i set it up and hardly no wear on the stainless. It has def helped me get caught up also... but i am always behind lol.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
Once the newness wears off on a new electro setup, and after you have been running it 24/7 for days on end, you will finally come to realize that, yes, its a good thing, but you eventually come to realize that you are wasting your money. The lye bath is the best thing out there. Put everything in a lye bath. The lye bath cleans the built up carbon off and in most cases you will not even need to derust the piece. Yes the electro will derust and decarbon, but why go there and pay the money if you don't have to. And the lye is very easy and cheap to use, and it will show you what you need to derust, and when you get your pieces out of the lye, if they do need derusted with electro, they will clean much faster because you will just be removing the rust and not working your electro to take carbon off. BUT, until you come to realize this, knock yourself out and watch the bubbles and electro, electro, electro. I know I did.  ;D ;D ;D ;D