Author Topic: Molasses - just a little bit of info  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
Molasses - just a little bit of info
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:02:37 AM »
Cheryl, I thought it might be nice to put a couple quick facts/observations about using molasses to get rid of rust again.  Not a lot, just a couple posts maybe.  Hopefully you will add a couple thoughts/observations.

Here's what I found.  I bought it at the local feed store for about $15.00 for about 4-5 gallons.

Accidently mixed it at 50/50, water and molasses.

Works similar to Evaporust, I like it better than vinegar.  Easy to clean off.

I've cleaned several pieces, light rust takes overnight, heavy rust a bit longer.

I've not seen any damage, but there have been reports of a gunmetal gray color and you had apparent damage to the cooking surface of a skillet or two, so folks should experiment with caution.

I don't remember the other recommended concentrations.  Maybe something like 5 or 10 to 1, water to molasses.

I've been busy with other stuff since August, but my iron to be cleaned pile is getting too big so I've got to get busy again.

Almost forgot, we found that it does remove light nickel plating, so if you want it, don't use molasses, if you want to clean a spotty piece, use the molasses.

Also make sure the item if fully immersed and no air bubbles can get trapped.  It can leave lines.  That's actually good advice for any cleaning solution.

Tom
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:03:14 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Gary Salsman

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Molasses - just a little bit of info
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
Question about the nickle plating. I took a few skillet covers to a chrome plater to have the nickle removed. The first one he did had copper plating underneath. Will the molasses remove the copper as well? I've been told ammonia will remove the copper, but have not tried it yet. The early stuff was nickle plated, the later was chrome plated. The pieces I gave him were Block Logo covers.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:45:10 PM »
Most of the nickel was already gone on the piece I had, Cheryl tired some heavier plating and it didn't do well.  I don't know what it will do with copper.  Likely nothing.

Tom

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »
Been catching up on some cleaning the past couple weeks.  Found that the molasses still cleans, albeit a bit slower with temps in the 25 to 30F range.

When I get back, I'll share some comments about a pan I found in my vinegar bath that I had forgotten for a few months - yes months :o.  Kind of surprising and not quite what one would expect.

Tom

Offline Ken Davis

• Everything tastes better on iron.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
Tom, if you think your molasses is slow now, wait until Jan.   :D

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »
Well Ken, you were right.  Nothing slower than molasses in January.  But not because it was cold, but I finally wore it out.

It turned a jet black.  Like inky black and would not take rust off any more.

So I mixed up a new batch using what I had left.  The ratio, by volume, is 1/3 molasses, 2/3 water.  I used hot water to make sure it was all dissolved.

Put it outside in cold weather 25 to 35 degrees and it seems to work just fine, although maybe a little slow, but not much.

Here are some examples.

The first is a German wafer iron I picked up.  The auction pictures looked nice, but when I got it is was painted black with a brush >:(.  I was worried, so into the lye it went.  It took off most of the black paint, but I now discovered there was silver paint under the black :(.  More worry.  Most came off, but I decided to run it through the self-cleaning oven cycle.

The pictures below are the result after the oven.  You can see lots of light rust, nothing horrible but not easy to clean.

So into the new molasses for a couple days.

The next set of pictures shows the result.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:24:57 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:09:28 AM »
The results after washing off and coating with mineral oil.

I continue to be amazed at how well the molasses works, even when cold.  it did seem to want to start to freeze on top at around 15F.

It may be missing a lifting part.  I think the slot in the side of the base was for a lifting handle.

The D.R.G.M. signifies "Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster" and is a design or use patent somewhat similar a "Registered" mark that provides an initial three years protection extendable for another three years to six maximum. This was introduced and were first issued starting in 1891 and continued until 1952.

Don't have a clue as to the maker, but the design is kind of typical for Northern Europe.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:10:30 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:34 AM »
Here's another wafer iron, by the Gay Nineties Wafer Iron Company, Columbus, Georgia.  I'm not going to write a bunch about the history as their isn't much.  It isn't even close to nineteenth century though.  It was made and sold sometime in the last 20 years by a museum in Georgia.  Never really a commercial product.  This one is cast iron and should have a base.  There has been an aluminum one on eBay for a year or more.  Way overpriced in my mind.

Anyway, decided to just toss this one in the molasses without any pre-treatment.  Here are the before pictures.

You may notice some dark area on the edge along the writing.  This was a mistake on my part.  It is oil or grease.  The molasses cleaned the rust but wouldn't touch it under the oil, so into the lye it went for a few days, then back to the molasses.

The inside is tough to photograph as it is polished mirror smooth.  Looks plated but it is not.

Tom

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:18:52 AM »
In the molasses for two days, then washed and a coat of mineral oil.  I forgot to take pictures of the same side.  The before has a casting flaw near the handle.  This side does not.

I had a terrible time taking pictures of the inside, it is indeed shiny like plating but doesn't photograph well in the light I had yesterday.  I did hit it with a little Brasso and a quick buff.

Tom

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 12:19:54 AM »
The river bottom iron is out there for it's final cleaning.  I'll dig it out tomorrow.

Forgot to mention that the self cleaning oven will darken the steel handles, but the molasses cleans that right off (as does Evaporust, at a much higher cost.)

Tom
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:21:20 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
Just for fun, here's what the auction pictures looked like.  I sure didn't pick up that it was painted.

Tom

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 11:06:28 AM »
I never would have suspected it was painted either.

You really did a great job restoring it Tom.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Ken Davis

• Everything tastes better on iron.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
Nice work, Tom.     :)

Offline Chuck Fredrickson

• LADY LIBERTY not cast iron but well seasoned
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »
Very nice indeed. Interesting that molasses takes care of the darkened handles, that stuff is magical.

~chuck

Offline Mark Ritter

• WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »
Thanks Tom, for your posts. I am still amazed at what molasses will do. :o

Offline Terry Hammer

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
I have had skillets come out gray in color in 12 hours with a 50/50 mix of water and molasses. scrub them and wash off with soapy water! Put back in lye bath for at least 3 days and then season.  Have had no problems. like this method better than vinegar and water!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 12:02:08 AM »
Just don't forget about them for 7 days in the 50/50 molasses.. [smiley=oops.gif]

[smiley=crying1.gif] [smiley=crying1.gif]

Molasses vs. Iron/7days = destroyed iron.

Offline Terry Hammer

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 01:02:51 PM »
Cheryl I take that as you have done that! I have left a #9 oval roaster in for 48 hours as it had gold paint ? on it! The stuff would not all come off after lye bath. after molasses bath in was almost all gone!