Author Topic: Stainless for Electro Questions  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Jonathon Davis

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Stainless for Electro Questions
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »
Hey everyone! I've got a pretty low key setup using rebar right now, but if like to get some stainless sheets or plates to speed things up and remove rust more evenly.

1. Where's everyone getting their sheets/plates of stainless?

2. Is there a particular thickness I should get?

If y'all have any other tips or suggestions you'd like to give me from your experience, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance! 8-)

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
Re: Stainless for Electro Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Hi Jonathon..I got mine at a local scrap yard/metal recycling place. Had a huge bin of scrap SS they let me paw through. Was pretty cheap too.

Offline Jeff Friend

• Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »
Sometimes sheet metal fabricators have scraps of stainless.  There are different types, with AISI 304 probably being the most common.  A thicker gauge would last longer.  If you have a hard time carrying it it is too thick or too large.  I use a polyethylene drum with the stainless down in the electrolyte with a piece of stainless cable attached to it to conduct the electricity.  You DO NOT want to have your battery charger clip in the solution.  It will not last long if it is.  If you can get a piece of metal long enough that the connection is above water you will not have to rig up something to get the electrons back from the anode.

I also use sodium hydroxide (lye) as the electrolyte.  It keeps the pH higher and I think my anode lasts a lot longer now than it did when I was using sodium carbonate.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:44:55 AM by Jeff_Friend »
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »
Hi Jeff, is it a mix of lye and soda, or just lye in your electro? And how much lye per gallon do you use for electro. Thanks. :)

Offline Jeff Friend

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
Just lye, but when I decided to go with lye, there was a transition where I added lye to the sodium carbonate solution I was using at the time.  When I moved, the solution was replaced with lye only.

You can mix them however you want.  The important factors for an electrolyte in our application is that it is a "strong" electrolyte (it ionizes completely, because the ions allow the current to flow) and that it raises the pH of the water.  I have been using lye because it makes the pH higher - a lot higher - than sodium carbonate.  My experience is that my anode requires less maintenance and lasts longer with NaOH than with NaCO3.

You should determine how much lye to use on an experimental basis.  If you like to hit a No. 5 skillet with 40 amps, you will need a more conductive solution.  I rarely have more than 20 amps flowing, even on a No.12 skillet.  My opinion is that 10 to 15 amps is adequate for what I am trying to accomplish and the extra current is a waste of electricity that doesn't get my iron any cleaner than 10 amps.  If your system is a 55 gallon drum, you will need more than it you are using a 10 gallon Rubbermaid tote.

I would get your system set up with clean water, put in a large pan and your electrode, and turn on the charger.  If your charger has an ammeter, that will help.  Pour in some liquid caustic soda (like one of the drain openers that is a lye solution), thoroughly mix it with the water, and see what current you get.  Do this a few times and you will be set.  I'd also start by adding a pint per 20 gallons - start slowly until you see how the system behaves.  Remember, you can also adjust the flow of current by separating the pan from the anode.

Jeff

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
Mine is a 20 gallon tote and my charger is 15 amps.
So for a crusty pan, do you still do a separate lye bath first?..or do you just do both chores at the same time?

Offline Stuart Lowery

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:48:50 PM »
Mark,
have you checked your messages?

Offline Mike Goulet

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »
When I ever get to trying the electro method, I'll go around looking for  old  Microwaves and such with stainless  casing ,  and screw a couple together to line my tub of choice

hey, just an idea  for free stainless

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »
Stuart, No I keep forgetting to check for those cuz I don't usually get any, lol ..going there now... :)

Offline Jeff Friend

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »
If I am reading between the lines correctly, I think you are asking if by using lye in the electro bath, is grease removed by the same mechanism as in a lye bath.  The answer is no.  The concentration of lye in an electro setup is much lower than in a lye bath, so it would take forever.  I have both lye and electro and which one I use depends on the specific situation.  For a really cruddy piece, it may get electro first to knock off a lot of big chunks, then into the lye for a few days.  I have put pieces into the lye and let them sit for a looong time (one piece has been in the lye for years, but that is an on-going experiment).

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
I see...good information Jeff, thanks. I presently don't have anything to clean, but when I do I'm going to start with a fresh batch of lye water in the electro following your directions.

This is a little off topic..but I have another question I have not seen asked or answered before...even in the "best threads sticky" I just read in entirety. I've been tempted to find out the answer myself, but I was too scared to try it, lol
 Lets say the ammeter is reading 15 amps.What would happen if you accidentally stuck your hand in the water before turning the charger off? Would it be a mild shock or knock you on your a$$.  [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=wobble.gif]

Offline Jeff Friend

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »
You wouldn't think 12 volts would shock you, but I was shocked one time . . . and just one time.  I can't say if the shock was just through my hand or if the rest of me was shocked, too.  I wasn't knocked on my a$$, but it was one of those "Holy $hit . . . what the hell was that?" moments.   :o

No more fishing around in the tank bare-handed with the charger turned on for me!

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 09:11:11 PM »
LoL!..thats what I was thinking too..whats 12 little volts gonna do, as I held my finger just above the water..wanting to touch it but didn't have the cajones  to do it.  Then I remembered someone telling me...it's not the volts, it's the amps that'll get you. Or maybe it was the other way around...so now I wasn't sure and couldn't bring myself to stick my finger in. Figured "I better ask someone before I try this".... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Go ahead... you know you wanna do it.... :D

(PS.... set the amps as low as possible for the experiment.. and don't stand on concrete... recommend standing on a rubber mat...  8-) )

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
Go ahead... you know you wanna do it.... :D

(PS.... set the amps as low as possible for the experiment.. and don't stand on concrete... recommend standing on a rubber mat...  8-) )

Unless you have a cut in your finger or on your hand it won't hurt you. I have done it before. Yes I am stupid.  ::) ;D

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
Rofl  Perry...it must be a guy thing...I'm going to try it now that I know it's not instant death. Maybe I should have my wife film it..I could win a hundred grand on Americas funniest videos!  [smiley=bananax.gif] [smiley=icon_bananas.gif]

[smiley=stupid.gif] <----- Wife
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:27:56 PM by mark21221 »

Offline Corinne Wetzel

• WAGS member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »
I was using regular steel in my newly-set-up electro because I hadn't found any stainless yet, then stumbled on a cheap source at a church rummage sale--3 heavy duty stainless steel catering trays for only $5.00 for all three.  I set it up this a.m. using one of the trays and it looks like it's working fine.  The steel sheet I'd bought previously was already half eaten up so it was great to find something longer lasting.  I sometimes see cheap stainless steel trays at estate sales so maybe this is an option for others too.