Author Topic: I think it's flash rust....  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Guy Charles

• My fat inner child is screaming to get out!!!
I think it's flash rust....
« on: April 20, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
Sorry, been missing my CI schooling....been out of the loop for a while.  Got our first child due in about 5 weeks...been staying pretty busy....no time for "Daddy Cast Iron Time." :'(

Anyways,  sometimes when cooking in my lodge skillet, I will get some food that sticks.  I thought I read on here that you can boil out the stuck residue using water in the skillet after cooking.  I have done this and it works great in getting the food out.  The only thing is that it looks like it strips the seasoning in spots and rust really freaking fast, like before I can finish drying it with a towel. 

When this happens, I finish drying it by hand, put it in the 250 degree oven for 20mins to finish drying....then I recoat it with a very thin coat of lard and put it back in the oven, turn the oven off and let it cool over night.  The patina always returns and am able to cook on it next time. Question: is this "rust" bad?

Please teach me wise ones!

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: I think it's flash rust....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 07:03:43 PM »
Flash rust is no big deal in terms of hurting the iron.  I would wonder about the seasoning though if you are getting sticking and rust after cleaning it.  I usually season 4-5 layers on the pieces I use to cook with.  If you do that, you shouldn't have the seasoning coming off or any more rust issues.  I use solid Crisco when I season. 
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Guy Charles

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
I was waiting for you Prosper buddy!  I didn't think it was that big a deal.

I guess that 1-2 layers isn't enough. 

I know everyone loves Crisco on here, but it's not my cup of tea.  I haven't said anything about it because I didn't want to cause a riot, or get lynched, or even worse....get de-WAGed! :'(
That stuff is made from GMO soybeans.  Trying to keep the GMO's out of my food. Now if I could just find organic lard ;).

Thanks for your help Roger.  Maybe I could swing by your casa one day and learn some of your tricks

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »
Guy, try some grapeseed oil.  And they recently added Palm Oil to PAM, and I'm liking the 'new' PAM...

Guy, is that Lodge one that you stripped and reconditioned?

Offline Guy Charles

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »
I will definitely have to try those oils.

It is one that I had one of our fellow WAGs (Brett Terry lives about 5mins from me) strip and condition for me. 

Still in the process of trying to get my tanks finished....the wifey has me getting everything ready for this kiddo....so no time. I think I won't have to paint the nursery a 5th time  :-/

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »
I was waiting for you Prosper buddy!  I didn't think it was that big a deal.

I guess that 1-2 layers isn't enough. 

I know everyone loves Crisco on here, but it's not my cup of tea.  I haven't said anything about it because I didn't want to cause a riot, or get lynched, or even worse....get de-WAGed! :'(
That stuff is made from GMO soybeans.  Trying to keep the GMO's out of my food. Now if I could just find organic lard ;).

Thanks for your help Roger.  Maybe I could swing by your casa one day and learn some of your tricks

No de-Wagging ;D  You're safe.  I figure it is being carbonized onto the skillet, so I don't worry all that much about what it has in it.  You could use drippings from organic bacon I suppose? ;)   I'll keep an eye out if I see anything at the store that might fit your needs.  The main thing is it is fat and you burn it onto the cast iron to the point it smokes and turns to carbon, our beloved seasoning.  I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can.  Take my advice though and keep the wife happy.  Congratulations on the new bundle of joy!  Time to put together a set of cast iron toys. :o
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:16:56 PM by rogbarfield »
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 07:56:24 AM »
Hi Guy, one more suggestion..after the pan gets to 250 degrees, crank the oven up to 500. When the pan is that hot, hit it with your oil of choice. I don't think 250 is hot enough to carbonize. And if you had a bare spot or spots after washing, you'll need to put the pan back in the oven and repeat a few times, or you'll only have one coat covering the bare spots, which isn't enough.  Another thing I've been doing that's working well is, once the seasoning is good, after washing I'll heat the pan on top of the stove. Low at first, then medium, then med high. Once it's good and hot, hit it with a short burst of Pam. Wipe it all around with a paper towel, trying to wipe it dry. Use the same oily towel on the bottom and outsides. Nice shiny, black iron when your done.  8-)