Author Topic: To restore or not to restore?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Chad Hilliard

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
To restore or not to restore?
« on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:10 PM »
Hello Cast Iron lovers!

I am new to the forum and still new to cast iron.

Over the weekend, I found an "unmarked" Birmingham Stove and Range company #8 (10 and 5/8IN pan)
From what I can tell it is from the 1960's Century series and the interior is as smooth as glass. This thing cooks like a dream.

Currently, I live in the city (no oven & no yard) but want to strip and re-seasoning this skillet.

However, with no place to use the usual methods (Lye, electric current or oven cleaner). What would you suggest?
Are there other methods that I can use indoors with no oven?

Thanks!

Offline Guy Charles

• My fat inner child is screaming to get out!!!
Re: To restore or not to restore?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:53:52 PM »
I'm betting some of the experts on here will say vinegar bath.  I haven't used it before ....so I'm not much help.  Just wait a little bit and people will have some ideas for you.  Cheers!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
That skillet has significant build up and needs to be restored, IMO.

Lye or oven cleaner, and then 50/50 vinegar.

I would use a 5 gallon paint bucket.  Fill with either lye solution or place skillet inside and spray with oven cleaner and put the lid firmly on it.  Sit it in the bathtub, or another safe location.  After throughly clean of old seasoning, rinse container thoroughly, fill with 50/50 vinegar and water to derust. Check every 30 minutes.

Only other alternative, self cleaning oven for 2 hours followed by vinegar bath.

MY MOTTO:  Never cook with a piece of cast iron until fully cleaned and restored.  You NEVER know where it's been, or what has been done TO it...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:03:49 PM by lillyc »

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »
Chad, keep in mind that you don't need an oven to use the oven cleaner method. You can put the pan in a black trash bag, spray it with the cleaner, and tie it shut. Set it somewhere safe in the event it leaks. Wear gloves, and watch out for the fumes.

Offline Jeff Friend

• Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
Chad,

You say it is "smooth as glass" and that it "cooks like a dream" so I must assume you have been using it.  If you like the way it cooks, why do anything at all?  I understand Cheryl's perspective of not knowing where a skillet has been and the desire to clean and season a piece of cast iron.  You could use the oven cleaner and plastic bag method.  But in this case, I think you should consider just using it.  I see no reason why you can't clean it later when you have the space.

If you want to try oven cleaner, here is what you do.  Using good rubber gloves, spray the skillet with a lot of oven cleaner, inside and out.  Then seal it is a plastic garbage bag.  It helps to put the bag in the sun because the chemical reaction that strips off the residue works faster if the pan is warm.  The point of the bag is to keep the water in the oven cleaner from evaporating.  After a day or so, pull out the skillet (remember the gloves) and scrub the loosened residue off of the skillet under running water.  Use a stainless steel scrubber like a Chore Boy.  You may have to repeat the oven cleaner and scrubbing procedure a few times to get all of the residue off the skillet.  Once that is done, you can assess if the skillet is rusty.  If there is just a slight amount surface of rust, you can season the skillet right over the rust.  It will not interfere with the seasoning process.  There are a lot of seasoning methods on this forum that you can follow.

Good luck.
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:05:41 AM »
Yeah, what Jeff said.
A bucket or tub of lye water can be set anywhere, but unless you plan on cleaning more pieces, a can of Easy Off and a trash bag is prob the way to go.  ;)