Author Topic: removing potential contaminants  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Mike Turcotte

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
removing potential contaminants
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »
Hello all, got a bit of an issue that I could use some opinions and knowledge on. This morning I pulled out of my lye bath a large #9 round bottom kettle, a dutch oven with lid and 2 griddles. I cleaned and seasoned the dutch oven and griddles as normal, then after that was done I cleaned the kettle and when I was drying it in the hot oven i noticed a faint but distinctive odor. It almost smelled like gasoline or motor oil, but the smell subsided when the kettle cooled. Oh no here we go. Not sure what to do now. So I have 2 questions. First off, can the kettle be deep cleaned to remove any residues and be safe for food, ie burning in a fire? I know fire is not recommended, but as a last resort? Secondly, do I need to worry about the other pieces that were in the lye bath? They seasoned normally, and did not produce any off odors. My method of cleaning is scrub down after lye bath, put in vinegar bath, scrub again, then upstairs in the kitchen it gets scrubbed again in soapy water, dried with paper towel then into warm oven to dry, then turn heat up and season. Thanks for any input and sorry for the long post!

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: removing potential contaminants
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
Mike, please don't put any cast iron in a fire. It can get scarred, and will not season properly. I would say that the last resort is the Self-Cleaning-Oven (SCO) method; since the oven can reach temps of 800-900F, it will burn off most organic gunk. Just turn on the fan and open a window.
To my own dismay, I have picked up a Dutch oven(DO) to inspect it and found my hands covered in motor oil. I passed on that one. How long was it in your lye bath before you went to season it? Others have posted here that a lye soak worked for them in a case like yours. I would be looking for another DO, but that's me.
Depending on the size and strength, I wouldn't worry about contaminating your lye bath with that piece.

Offline Mike Turcotte

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
Thanks for the response Russell! So you think the other pieces I cleaned and seasoned should be safe to use then? The kettle didn't have any noticeable layer of oil or any odor when I purchased it, just noticed the faint scent when I heated it up, so must have been just a residue of some kind. Otherwise I would have passed on it too. I'll try the SCO and see how that works. If the smell goes away would it be regarded as safe for food, or should I just use it as a decoration?

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
I don't see a problem with other pieces you've cleaned.
If there was no visible or palpable oil when you got this piece, I would question the length of time in, or temperature of your lye. The SCO should burn off any thing there though. Keep the fan on. Keep us posted of your results.
It's tough to know the history of any piece we find.

Offline Claudia Killebrew

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
Mike, if that kettle has a bail handle, do not run it through the SCO. It would most likely take the temper out of it.

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:51:32 AM »
I wonder if motor oil or gasoline would leave a visible sheen on the surface of a lye bath?

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 11:09:44 AM »
Tried the self cleaning oven once, took more than an open window and a fan, eyes were watering after 10 minutes. Don't think i'd do it with a pan that's possibly contaminated. BBQ would work fine tho?

It's reality with old cast, never sure if it was used for a planter or for motor oil storage.