Author Topic: Cleaning a waffle iron?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Robert Hynes

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Cleaning a waffle iron?
« on: October 28, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »
Still working on that Wagner waffle iron, and I swear if it wasn't promised to a charity auction, i'd bury it in the back yard.

The back is clean, the base is 90%. Electrolysis took most of the grime off the inside but wow, stubborn. Between wood scrapers, steel wool and what not, it's taking hours and hours. Oven cleaner overnight still didn't finish it, hit it again and letting it sit.

Any tips for cleaning these things?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:33:52 PM by roberthynes »

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Cleaning a waffle iron?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »
Take a look at the stainless brushes at the top of this photo. I know I went through one of them and some stainless steel wool pretty fast on the last waffle iron I cleaned.
It's good to give items like waffle irons, cornstick, popover and gem pans a nice long soak in a lye bath before electro to remove organic matter. The reduced rust from electro is a little (and I mean a little) easier to remove then.

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »
That looks great. Will look for some brushes today, see if there's an end to cleaning this iron.

Thanks Russell

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:29:03 PM »
For waffle irons and corn cob pans I use a flat short brush made by Forney welding supply. Works GREAT [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Take a look :o
https://www.forneyind.com/store/detail/721/parts_tube_cleaning_brushes/6233/wire_brush_1-12_steel_bristles_with_loop_handle_5-516_long/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:31:22 PM by DG_TX »
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »
Robert, Waffle Irons are one item that do so much better in a lye bath soak.  When you have to scrub them and they aren't done yet, plop them back in the soup for more cleaning.  And if you think a waffle iron is making you bald... don't ever buy any of the John Wright Muffin Pans (like the one Russell posted above)....

It will make you bald AND.........   :D :D :D :D

;D

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »
Good to know. Never used a lye bath, i'll have to find some. Is lye something that needs to be changed out once in a while or does it last for a long time?

Edit: stupid question removed  :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:03:11 PM by roberthynes »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »
Lye bath will last a verrrry long time and clean many pieces... Since I now have plastic barrels, I will not drain mine this year, so I just added a bit more lye to them...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:50:46 AM by lillyc »

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
And if you think a waffle iron is making you bald... don't ever buy any of the John Wright Muffin Pans (like the one Russell posted above)....

It will make you bald AND.........   :D :D :D :D

;D

Look carefully at the Wright pans if you pick one up.  Most of the modern ones, including the one in the above picture have the Wright version of a non-stick coating called ironstone.  If you put it in a self-cleaning oven, it is a real bear to clean, not to mention the toxic fumes.  I've never put one in lye so I don't know if it will strip off, although it doesn't seem like it should hurt it.  I usually just soak on in hot soapy water, and use vinegar to take off any rust spots.  They shouldn't have a lot of rust on them.  Someday I should transcribe my list and years for the pans.  I love using them.  I don't worry about the coating as it helps things release, and at oven temperatures there is no chance of it getting hot enough to be a problem.

By the way, the self-cleaning oven is wonderful for cleaning waffle irons, less wooden or steel parts.

And finally, never, never, never clean up a Stover waffle iron.  They are just awful.  I can't believe have many right angle corners they have.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:17:16 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
Robert, here is a close up of the inside of the last waffle iron I cleaned. If you don't get all of the organic matter off first, it can hide rust, and the electro will not remove that rust, unless you let it run for an extended period of time, depending on your setup. I can't tell you how many pieces I've cleaned that I thought only had old seasoning on them, but once the seasoning was removed in the lye, it revealed rust underneath. It makes a good enough case for me to always use a lye bath to remove any paint and organics. Then electro, and then lots of detail brushing and scrubbing to remove the reduced iron particles. There are just too many nooks and crannies on waffle irons!
Like Cheryl says, a lye bath will last a long time. Don't use a cheap container either. A 20lb. fish fryer can split a cheap plastic bin on both sides. Ugly, black, caustic liquid covering your garage floor is not fun to clean up.
You will have to occasionally add more lye. You'll know when if the pieces soaking in it start to get a rusty film on them.

And don't get me started on that JW dinosaur pan!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:43:28 AM by abc123 »

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
Well, that was a royal PITA, but the brushes worked wonders with oven cleaner. Plates are done, the base still has a bit in the seat but electrolysis will finish that.

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »
Found a Canadian made Taylor Forbes iron today, near bought it - but it's too soon  :o

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
Too Soon???
Excuses, excuses....

Buy it, and let it sit a spell (till spring)... ;D ;D

I have a stack of WI's living in the Garage for a lot longer than that...

I will have to start working on the pile........ soon....... ;) ;)

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »
Ok ok, if you really want to enable me  ;D