Author Topic: Question about cleaning cast iron.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Robert Bearfield

Question about cleaning cast iron.
« on: December 12, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »
it calls for 1 lb. 100% lye per 5 gallons water. would more lye clean better and/or faster?
Ignorance can be taught, STUPID is permanent. I speak 3 languages, english, sarcasm, and profanity, and I am very fluent in at least 2 of them.

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Question about cleaning cast iron.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »
Some people here do use a double strength lye bath. The stronger your lye, the more diligent you must be with its use. But keep in mind that temperature is also an important factor. At this time of year, I think we all are suffering from the Slow Lye Affect (SLA).
Patty Hearst isn't a member is she?

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »
I use a 2lb of lye to 5 gallon of water ratio, and it does clean much faster.

I also religiously wear Chemical grade gloves, AND a full face shield which I don before taking the lid off the lye bath.

All skin surfaces are covered.....

Safety...safety... always.

I have also decided that when next spring arrives, all lye baths will be emptied of the "food grade" crapola, and I will return to using Rooto or Roebic.

I have grown weary of the food grade, which in my opinion, based on 2 years of observations, just does not work AS well, and requires more constant 'beefing' up with more lye crystals needing to be added very frequently, and less effective   

I started with Tech Grade, so the difference has become more obvious to me.

While initially more expensive, I believe in the long term, the regular ole drain cleaner will actually cost me less.

Especially since I now have the HDPE barrels which should allow me to keep the baths full over the winter months.

Offline Jim Glatthaar

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »
Russell, I think she goes by the name Patricia Hearst now.  And, BTW, she must be a member of the other club. :o

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 03:49:06 AM »
Russell, I think she goes by the name Patricia Hearst now.  And, BTW, she must be a member of the other club. :o

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 03:52:48 AM »
While we are talking about lye here. Remember don't go down to the friendly store and buy a one pound can of lye for about seven dollars. There are all kinds of places you can get it much cheaper. Folks on here used to say they couldn't find lye, all kinds of stories about how they could not find. So we got one of them sticky things that Cheryl knows how to make and it tells all about how to find lye. I bought an eighty pound bag and it was too much for me to use so I threw sixty pounds away.  ::)

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 06:25:51 AM »
so I threw sixty pounds away.

Perry, that's just crazy... :o
Just bought a 2lb can of Roebic at Ace hardware..7.99 plus tax. For what it's worth, I'm still using my original lye bath that has 1 can (2lbs) to about 12 gallons. Still working, but after about 25 pieces it is taking a couple days longer if the crud is thick...maybe 4 to 5 days. I'm going to start fresh next time I have something to clean...that water is pretty nasty.