Author Topic: Spectrum Organic Shortening Seasoning?  (Read 977 times)

Offline Alex McKenna

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Spectrum Organic Shortening Seasoning?
« on: December 20, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »
Has any one tried this? Having reasonable success. 100% organic palm oil, refined.  Higher smoke point I know. Thoughts? Thanks.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Spectrum Organic Shortening Seasoning?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 05:37:15 PM »
Alex, sounds like a neat one to try!  (I have long maintained that it is the Palm Oil in Crisco Shortening that makes seasoning with Crisco attractive).

I will have to check that out.

Now I DO regularly use the Spectrum Grapeseed Oil (aerosol can) and I like the job it does also!

And WELCOME to WAGS!  :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:37:42 PM by lillyc »

Offline Alex McKenna

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 01:56:37 PM »
Thanks Cheryl! I just feel a little sick when I talk the lid off Crisco, although I imagine it's fine., a small dose after all.  I had been doing two separate seasonings at 250 then 1 at 475-500+ With palm. Since reading on here I have been experimenting with ramping up to high heat 550 instead. I am going to try grapeseed as well, I have one pan that is lighter no matter what I do and appears "drier", I'll try right over the spectrum first then may strip. Your posts and others' have been most helpful for a newbie like me and much appreciated.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »

Sometimes the differences in pans may well be a difference in the texture and 'finish' of the cast iron surface.  Color can vary from brand to brand (I find some of my WAGNER's have a different color to the raw iron finish, and seasoned.)

Some cast iron skillets were highly polished, some not polished.... the offerings varied over the years. This may affect the appearance.

Eventually, with regular use, the colors should even out and darken all around!.