Author Topic: Lye bath question  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Robert Hynes

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Lye bath question
« on: February 02, 2015, 05:57:19 PM »
Finally found some pure lye crystals at a local hardware store. But it's too cold here to have a lye bath outside.

I've taken 2 rubbermaid containers, layered one with styrofoam and inserted a second - so it's doubled up with a good solid bottom. Cover is in place, but it's not air tight, just a rubber maid container.

5 gallons of cold water to a pound (close enough) of lye.

It's in a bathroom at the moment, in an unused shower.

Should be fine?

Soaking a griswold american waffle iron, gris muffin pan, couple of ham and eggers, taylor forbes waffle iron and other small pieces. Didn't take long for the bath to go black.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:01:40 PM by roberthynes »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Lye bath question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »

Should do fine.

When I do a small for indoor, I use a Lowes Paint Bucket... nice snap on lid, and heavier gauge plastic... And the round containers seem to distribute the internal weight of the CI better... although not a concern with only 5 gallon capacity.

And I set the containers in a boot tray to catch drips....
Wish I had a spare shower or bathtub... lol

I use a double mix, both indoor and out.

Now remember, that lye will last a long, long, time and clean many, many, pieces before you even need to add any additional lye... :)

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
Good to know. When you say double mix, 2 pounds per 5 gallons of water?

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »

Yes... and always have these on before I open the lids... :)

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:18:44 AM »
   Now remember, that lye will last a long, long, time and clean many, many, pieces before you even need to add any additional lye... :)   

Cheryl is offering you good advice Robert 8-).
My caustic bath is a 7/8 tall 200litre oil drum.
It sits raised above a paver base supported by concrete bricks. These allow a 2 ring burner to be placed beneath when I want a heated bath that will accelerate the process.
The drum is emptied out and inspected annually.By then the liquid is quite filthy and is strained into another container. I use serious caution, an old salt bag, you know, the synthetic woven type, and steel mesh fastened onto a jerry-made timber frame atop a half barrel.
Sometimes I will use the old caustic to clean out the drains then I will restart with a fresh batch.
BTW, the $10 drum has been used continuously for 7 years now and there is no evidence of corrosion yet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:12:33 PM by james »

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »
Checked the tub this morning, black as black can be so it's doing something... As much as i'd like to have a large lye bin, condo living doesn't allow for much of anything. I don't have many pieces, so a smaller tub is fine.

Offline Neal Birkett

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:08:59 PM »
condo living doesn't allow for much of anything.

Boy, ain't that the truth.
Best Regards,
Neal

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:22 PM »
This is wonderful. Pulled the 949 muffin pan and gave it a scrub, looks great. Stuff was peeling off the waffle iron and base but it's back in the bath for a day or two. The waffle iron looks to be in beautiful shape.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 12:28:13 AM »
This is wonderful. Pulled the 949 muffin pan and gave it a scrub, looks great. Stuff was peeling off the waffle iron and base but it's back in the bath for a day or two. The waffle iron looks to be in beautiful shape.

Hello Robert. Just a suggestion. Don't be afraid to help your lye out. I sometimes take a piece out rinse it off and then scrub it some with a SS choreboy and then put it back into the lye. You'd be surprised at how much this helps. I mean the lye will do the heavy lifting, there ain't no doubt about it. And same for electro, don't be afraid to take the piece out scrub it some and put it back in the electro.  ;)

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 01:20:41 PM »

Hello Robert. Just a suggestion. Don't be afraid to help your lye out. I sometimes take a piece out rinse it off and then scrub it some with a SS choreboy and then put it back into the lye. You'd be surprised at how much this helps. I mean the lye will do the heavy lifting, there ain't no doubt about it. And same for electro, don't be afraid to take the piece out scrub it some and put it back in the electro.  ;)

That's what i've been doing and it's working well. Still some stubborn stuff on the waffle irons, but after a day in the lye, the pans are clean.

Silly question, much of the cast when cleaned has dark areas on it. It's like a darker stain but there's no crud. What is it and how does this get removed?

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »

The Lye Bath is Step 1

Derust-ing is Step 2.

The Darker stains may be harboring oxidation.

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Cheryl is right..and a good way I have found to tell is..I have a SS wire brush, looks like a toothbrush. If you go over those stains with it and see any hint of red or orange, into the electro it goes.  ;)

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »
So far so good. Had a couple of wagner 1891 pans in for a soak, they came out like new. Sidney O that was crudded up badly came out looking great but now I see it's a spinner.

I'm curious to see the Griswold american waffle iron results, looks to be in great condition.

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:29:05 AM »
I have had my share of cast with red oxide. Phosphoric acid is what I use, along with a welders s/s fillet brush. What works for me is applying diluted acid and moving it about and agitating the surface with the brush, then giving it a good scrub then rinse off to inspect. I give them as much as they need. I have found that the acid draws out that oxide stain well.
When I come upon the next burnt item I will try going directly to the electro stage. If it means less effort then I am all for it. I can think of better way s of having a work-out than scrubbing cast iron ;D

Cheryl is right..and a good way I have found to tell is..I have a SS wire brush, looks like a toothbrush. If you go over those stains with it and see any hint of red or orange, into the electro it goes.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:30:45 AM by james »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 03:51:29 AM »
James....HUH??

Offline Jeff Friend

• Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
Phosphoric acid converts rust into a form that can be rinsed off.  It is the active ingredient in naval jelly.
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 04:09:36 PM »
The waffle iron is done, didn't come out too bad. Just a light coat of seasoning to keep the rust at bay... Numbered 885, 886B and 975.

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
You got there before me. Thanks for clarifying that for Cheryl, Jeff :)
Phosphoric gets into the cast and aids in lifting the oxides to the surface. After rinsing well, the cast can be dried and flash rust will often not form as the phosphate residue protects the metal. Much the same as in Parkerising?
Phosphate or not, it is possible to put the item into cold, clean water for a short period without fear of rust. Especially if I add detergent to the water, and I often do. This retards any further corrosion for a longer period.
Don't ask me for the chemical process because I don't know it ;D.
I am guessing that as the detergent is a surfactant, it resists the oxygen reaction :-?

Jeff
Phosphoric acid converts rust into a form that can be rinsed off.  It is the active ingredient in naval jelly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:25:35 PM by james »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »

My brain went temporarily on vacation regarding the phosphoric acid connection.

James, it might be cheaper to use Coca-Cola.
 ::) ::)

Using Naval Jelly (which no longer works the way it used to... I don't bother buying it anymore..) could get pricey... and I prefer not to use it on my Cast Iron. (and no Coca-Cola either,,,, way too many $$$ so I never experimented with it...)

The good old 50/50 Vinegar bath is a cheap, effective, better choice in my book.
(with careful monitoring, as any Acid requires, when using with CI).

But, the electrolysis is my go to de-ruster always.

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »
Hello Cheryl.
No Coca Cola for me these days, I swore off the stuff when they began to load it with that addictive stuff, sugar.
I enjoyed Coke when I was a teenager, when it was in the iconic glass bottles. All in rows in open chest chillers, you put a coin in and slid a bottle along to the gate; boy it tasted good back then.  8-) Not now though, IMO it's over-sweet, syrupy muck. ::)
Phosphoric acid is pricey if buying retail but there are other sources.
I have used vinegar too, as a wipe, but prefer the other and no doubt there are more options too :)
To each their own, whatever works and we all keep learning 8-) 8-)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:30:29 PM by james »