Author Topic: Cleaning Enameled Cast Iron and Steel Cookware  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Cleaning Enameled Cast Iron and Steel Cookware
« on: February 06, 2015, 07:38:50 PM »
Saw some interesting old cast iron pieces today. Most likely from Germany, as everything else in the house was German, as was the former owner. No makers marks, but the bottoms were covered with baked on carbon. The pieces were enameled inside and out, heavy, with enameled steel lids. Here's the question--how do I get the old carbon off? I've had painted pieces (yep, someone "decorated" some fine old pieces by painting them) and the lye took the paint right off. Not sure what would happen with enameled cast iron and steel, but I assume it would do the same thing--peel it--which is not what I want to do. Any help greatly appreciated, as I won't buy them if I can't clean them.

Offline Susan Salsburg

Re: Cleaning Enameled Cast Iron and Steel Cookware
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:34:34 PM »
I've cleaned really cruddy LeCreuset stuff in a lye bath. Didn't have to leave it in very long. It was like the burnt on layer was stuck to itself rather than the pan. Very pleased with the results. Sue

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:42:40 AM »
Hi Frank. If the pieces are vitreous enamel then lye at the strength we use shouldn't hurt them one bit. AFAIK vitreous enamel is powdered glass, fired and fused to the cast iron in a furnace kiln.
I have safely stripped baked on gunk from vitreous enameled pieces  without detriment to the item. Careful when removing them from the lye bath as the enameeled surface is as slippery as the proverbial ;).
If you want to play it safe, sit the items on a lye saturated cloth in a shallow container. You dont have to wait for the lye to do all the work, give it some assistance with a putty knife or blade scraper.

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:21:31 AM »
Thanks folks! Guess I'll take the chance then. I think I can get them very cheaply and they seem like solid old pieces. For example, there's a chicken roaster (oval) with offset handles. These pieces are a strange mix of steel strap handles and lids with cast iron bottoms, all enameled. Looks like a complete set. We'll see. I'll post pictures if they're still there and I can get them.

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
So...something like this could go in a lye bath and it would clean up?

Offline Susan Salsburg

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »
Mine was worse than that - lye bath & looks like new. Sue

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
Thanks Sue..I've been watching that thing and can think of quite a few uses for it..from bacon to bringing in meat from the grill. But not in that condition... ;)