Author Topic: Cleaning a Fruit/Lard Press  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Cleaning a Fruit/Lard Press
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
Below is a photo of a Griswold No.2 2-quart fruit/lard press. The questions I have are:
1. Is this press painted or is it plated?
2. What is the best method for cleaning and sprucing it up a bit?

Thanks.

Offline Bob Henrick

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: Cleaning a Fruit/Lard Press
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »
Russell, I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but the body of that looks to me to be tin. Not sure about the screw etc, but would think steel. Now, I am sure that some of the numerous experts who DO know what  they are talking about will be around before sunset.
Bob H.

Offline Tom Silver

• Remember, you can't spell GriswOLD without G-O-L-D
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
Russell,

I've acquired and cleaned two of these and, from my experience, they're primarily plated, whereas the "canister" is plated tin. I've found that scrubbing them with a soft stainless steel brush will do a great job of cleaning them up quite nicely. After cleaning, I brushed a thin coating of mineral oil on the threads of the screw shaft to keep it from developing any rust.

I hope that helps.

One other note; I hope that you don't find out the hard way about the proper orientation for inserting the lower perforated plate, the strainer plate. The cast-in ridges face down, otherwise the plate can be easily broken if pressure is applied.  :'(
"In order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to obtain."  MARK TWAIN, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips Tom. The perforated bottom plate on mine says, “this side down” on one side. So I think I’ve got that problem solved. One concern I had is that this bottom plate was wedged inside the filter basket. I figured that the filter basket would sit on top of this perforated plate. I thought the filter basket and outer basket were both tinned. Since this press has the Griswold logo on the front, I just wanted to spruce it up a bit. I wasn’t sure if I could use some 50/50 vinegar for a quick wipe down before a soapy wash/dry/mineral oil coat. The cast iron parts look nickel plated, so I’m not too worried about cleaning them.
I was hoping someone here might have a broken press or parts lying around so I could find a replacement anchor bolt. This press is missing one.
Thanks again.

Offline Tom Silver

• Remember, you can't spell GriswOLD without G-O-L-D
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »
The filter basket is rolled differently at each end. The top is rolled out and the bottom is rolled in, in order to retain the strainer plate. It should come out fairly easily toward the top.

Sorry I don't have any spare anchor bolts but, as you mention, someone on the forum might just have one. Good luck.  :)
"In order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to obtain."  MARK TWAIN, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Offline Colin Crosby

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 09:27:03 PM »
That is cool!! Never seen one before!!