Author Topic: What is this unmarked Pan? Looks like Erie Series 2  (Read 985 times)

Offline Judy Minutella

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
What is this unmarked Pan? Looks like Erie Series 2
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
Hello to all!  I am not a collector just a user new to cast iron and this website.  I found this skillet hanging in a barn in the holler and this was my first acquisition. After cleaning and using it, I was HOOKED!  Light, smooth, etc. Anyway, after scouring the internet on my own, I thought maybe it was an unmarked Erie 2 series.  I thought it has all the same characteristics.  There are some ridges that look like they were cut into the sides of the handle where it meets the pan. Some sort of grips? I have been told now there is no such thing as an unmarked Erie so now I am still left with the original question. Any ideas what this pan is and possible the age?

Offline Lee Bowen

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: What is this unmarked Pan? Looks like Erie Series 2
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:00:03 PM »
I am nowhere as knowledgeable as Cheryl or the other CI gurus, but the gussets where the handle attaches to the skillet is fairly common for most of the CI foundries in the early 20th century, even those with names on the bottom.  The "8" size indicator is reminiscent of Wagner, but again. this is only the opinion of a relative newcomer to the vast possibilities available in vintage CI hollowware.  Please weigh in and enlighten us, oh valiant leaders.  This is a really nice looking skillet.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
Re: What is this unmarked Pan? Looks like Erie Series 2
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
no such thing as a unmarked ERIE.  Could be made by also anyone, if there are no markings. THere are a lot of unknowns out there.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.