Author Topic: Does being a spinner make it semi-worthless?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Spurgeon Hendrick

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Does being a spinner make it semi-worthless?
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »
Found this today at one of my favorite stops. This guy always sells his cast iron cheap. On his glass counter, it will spin. The warp in the bottom is not so bad that you can really see it with the naked eye, so I reckon it will at least look pretty hanging on my wall ... And for anything made in the oven. It will probably cook ok on the stove too.

But the spinning part got me thinking, how much does it reduce the value? Assuming it cleans up and is otherwise perfect, would it still be worthless as a collectible? Maybe that depends on the collector, but I’m wondering, as a general rule of thumb, does it reduce the value by half, or what?

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Does being a spinner make it semi-worthless?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »
A spinner isn't worthless. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. Warped pans have been overheated and abused. To collector, it is worthless; because, it is not in excellent, collector condition. To someone else, it might be an acceptable user.

Offline Spurgeon Hendrick

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Re: Does being a spinner make it semi-worthless?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
That’s kinda what I figured. Maybe it depends on how we define “collector”. I say I “collect” cast iron. My wife says I’m more of a hoarder than a collector. Of course, I would like to find perfect condition iron, although, if I can’t find a perfect example, I’m pretty happy with slightly imperfect one. And maybe being a serious collector takes time. I have found the more I “collect”, the more I would a better version of the slightly imperfect I already possess. Ha!