Author Topic: Safety kettles  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
Safety kettles
« on: November 16, 2003, 12:54:12 AM »
Hi folks, picked up a Hunter Sifter saftey kettle. It looks like the one on the foundries page except it's a #7 and the inside is porcelain. What is the explanation behind the term "saftey kettle"?  
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
Re: Safety kettles
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 02:10:09 AM »
Ed, I'm not sure but I think it referred to the way the lid "locked" on under the little "ears" at the top of the kettle and the flap on the front of the lid which let you pick the pot up and pour it's contents without the lid coming off and you scalding yourself and everybody else in the vicinity. Some if not all of the lids also had a sieve pattern in the lid under the flap that kept any large pieces from pouring out and causing a splash. If you can get a picture for the forum, it would be neat to see. I don't think I've heard of the manufacturer before.
Harry

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 01:03:28 AM »
Yes Harry I see what you are saying when  I got to looking at the pics of the Gris safety kettles. This kettle does not have ears on the rim to hold the lid. But I'm guessing that with the way the bail is bent through the ears,and up onto the rim of the kettle this must hold the lid. Of course no lid with it but it must be pretty flat to fit between  the bail and the rim.  There is one pic on the foundries list of this kettle and the manufacturer Harry. Only mine is a #7 and the wood handles are missing. Markings are the same.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 11:25:02 PM »
Ed, thanks for pointing me to the link. I have seen these pieces, but I didn't think they were safety kettles based on the design of the ones I've seen. There were 2 firms in the same city (Cinn. Ohio?) that made these pieces with both having patent info on them so they may have been the same company at one time. I thought the ones I saw were odorless kettles and the design was to pull the cooking odors off the top of the pan down thru the spout that runs down the height of the pan and have the odors pulled into the fire pit and up the chimney. I think these are great looking pieces with the removable vent cover. Is your piece marked as a Safety Kettle?
Harry

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 02:19:27 AM »
Harry, no it does not say safety kettle. I was going by what the foundry link said. Your theory on odorless kettle makes more sense. I've been trying to figure out how the removable front fit into the whole saftey kettle thing. I think your right about it being a vent. Sure would like to see the cover for it.    
About the two firms I have no idea, its marked The Hunter Sifter Mfg Co, Cincinnati- O  &  New York City, Patd  74 & 75.  Thats on the removable front, the bottom is gated with a #7. Thanks for the input Harry.