Author Topic: Cracked Skillet or Oven Cover Handles  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
Cracked Skillet or Oven Cover Handles
« on: February 05, 2004, 11:26:42 AM »
I am posting this under General Info for the benefit of public and any new collectors.  I recently shipped a skillet and lid set and the buyer said the handle was cracked and sent the attached picture.  I emailed them and tried to explain why cover handles have that line in them and even showed them the picture of the hinged  handle pattern that causes the line in the casting, and also 4 other cover handles that all have that line and told the buyer that most all cover handles have that line to varying degrees.  Here is their reply:

"It is definitely a crack. We have over 500 pieces of Griswold, and Not even MOST ALL, but none of them have this crack"

Anyone think this is a cracked handle?

There was no sense in arguing the matter and I just told them to return it to me for a refund.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 04:12:45 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Steve_Stephens

Re: Cracked Skillet or Oven Handles
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:21:01 PM »

Anyone think this is a cracked handle?

From the photo, no, I don't think it is a crack.  But to be sure look at it with a 10X magnifier or similiar.  That will show the truth.  Sorry about your bad luck.  Maybe it IS a crack.  Let us know after you get it back.
Steve

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 12:47:04 PM »
Steve,
The skillet cover handle is not cracked.  It is just the normally seen seam.    But I can see how someone not familiar with the process would think it might be a crack from a blow.

I always ship a cover completely wrapped in heavy polyfoam or bubble wrap and turned upside down inside the skillet or oven pot to avoid any chance of damaging the cover handle.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 12:51:35 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

moosejaw

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 01:47:58 PM »
Jerry,

Doesn't looked cracked to me.....looks like the seam.  I should send you a picture of one of my Canadian Dutch Ovens.  It looks like the worker had a bit too much spirit when he pinned the handle together.  It is c*o*c*k*eyed and the space if quite evident.  My first thought was the handle was cracked.  After the tour of the Wagner factory, and an explanation of the process, I realized that my handle was just fine.  Perhaps we could add a section to this website, explaining the process, with pictures.   It would be an interesting tidbit to add, and members could point to the link for an explanation, if selling a piece.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 02:52:26 PM by moosejaw »

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 02:17:21 PM »

Perhaps we could add a section to this website, explaining the process, with pictures.   It would be an interesting tidbit to add, and members could point to the link for an explanation, if selling a piece.

Marty,
Thats the reason I posted this subject in the public viewing section.  I've had this question before, and at one time years ago, I had the same question myself about the seam being a crack.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 09:03:14 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: Cracked Skillet or Oven Cover Handles
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 06:09:24 PM »
Jerry,

No,  I don't think it is cracked either.   I have some lids with pretty big "seams" too.   And they are Griswold.   Hopefully you can send him to this site and see what we say.   I will take some pictures of the few lids I have and post them.  Will see if I can post them. ;D

Will P. [smiley=smoking.gif]

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 06:21:18 PM »
Look at the convention slide show.  That will  show you the "crack".  That handle is not cracked.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 07:18:43 PM »
Jerry, glad you brought this up I will have to add the handle seam in my ebay descriptions. I sometimes think I over describe an item by pointing out every little flaw and that probably scares some bidders off. But I would rather be up front about the piece than have trouble in the long run.  If this buyer has 500 pieces they must have seen only one cover .  Unfortunately it was yours.  They should be thankful your willing to give a refund. Most sellers I have problems with tell ya sorry about your luck it must have happened in shipping. Some things yes, but not a skillet with a warped bottom after they say its fine. The descriptions I find funny are the ones that say , "normal ware no cracks etc".   Ed
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 11:24:19 PM »
Look at the convention slide show.  That will  show you the "crack".  That handle is not cracked.

Greg,
I don't see how you can say for sure that Jerry's handle is not cracked.  I can't tell from the photo since very fine hairlines can be very difficult to see when you have the pan in your hands.  I questioned if anyone has looked at the handle with a magnifier.  I know that what sort of looks like a crack isn't but couldn't there be a hairline crack right where the "not a crack" (the seam) is?   I have had a cover that was cracked (I could hear it when I tapped it) but I couldn't see the crack.  Finally I was able to see it and it was VERY fine and VERY hard to see.  Same thing with a friends Erie spider skillet.  It was cracked for certain but it sure took some careful looking to find it.
Steve

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 07:15:43 AM »
IF that "line" is in the middle of the handle, then it is not a crack, as that is where the handle comes together on the lid.  All of my lids have "line" in that location, so are more pronounced than others, so are difficult to see, but they ALL have that line.  

It is not a crack.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 12:09:19 PM »
Greg,
I know about the line at the top of the handles and that it is cast into the piece due to the construction of the fold-away handle on the pattern.  But, what I am saying is that one can't tell from Jerry's photo if there might be a hairline CRACK in the same location as the line.  That is a POSSIBILITY and, if everyone is looking at the seam or line and saying it is not a crack they are right but they haven't said they have looked for a crack in the same location.   I was wondering how a collector who has 500 pieces of iron would think the seam is a crack.  I know there are some dummies out there but, maybe, he did see a crack at the location of the seam.  The communication on this topic has not been all that clear except to indicate that the line or seam is not a crack and I agree with that and understand that part.
Steve

Shearylon

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 05:18:12 PM »
Jerry, I have to agree with you....that IS NOT A CRACK...I have had  maybe 10-12 lids in the past year or so and they all had that  seam or mark...In fact the dutch oven I use for my own personal use...the handle on the lid of that is identical to yours......Guess some people , you just cant tell them anything.....RIGHT MARTY?  [smiley=hyper.gif] [smiley=yes.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 05:22:11 PM by Shearylon »

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 12:18:39 PM »
i have received the skillet back from the buyer and will post some pictures of the handle for the WAGS jury.  I have pictures of both sides and the top view . I have also examined it with a magnifying glass and see no evidence that it is anything but the normal handle seam.
Jerry

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 01:45:17 PM »
not a crack like I said earlier.  I have had a similar experience, that is why I knew it was not cracked.

moosejaw

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 12:40:39 AM »
Looks like a very fine seam to me.  Much nicer than the seam on my Canadian DO.  I hope you refer your purchaser to this topic, Jerry.  This should explain it quite well to him, and I'll bet he will be sorry he sent the DO back.