Author Topic: Best Made S.R and co #3 1233 skillet  (Read 4838 times)

lowball

Best Made S.R and co #3 1233 skillet
« on: March 21, 2004, 10:40:34 PM »
just bought a skillet #3 marked Best Made S. R and Co
1233 made for sears can someone give a little info on this. (age)are they uncommon or pretty average and what is it worth i paid 10.00 for it

Steve_Stephens

Re: Best Made S.R and co #3 1233 skillet
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 11:34:40 PM »
Dennis,
Good buy as that pan is probably worth double to triple what you paid for it.  Not too rare but you don't see them often.  Made late 20's to early 30's, Best Made, along with Puritan, Challange, and Merit, were Sears tradenames.  Griswold made marked cookware under the Best Made, Puritan, and Merit names well into the 30's.  Sears had their "Good, Better, Best" grades of items.  Best Made was the top of the line while Puritan was lessor quality.  Later they shifted around the tradenames some but they still probably had the good, better, best grades.  Favorite and, later, Wagner made iron cookware for Sears with at least some being of the lessor grades.  Another version of your skillet (same p/n) does not have the S. R. & Co. marking on it but just says BEST MADE, No.3, and the pattern number.  I don't know if that is earlier or later than your pan.

Steve

lowball

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 12:19:12 AM »
thanks steve,i ran into an older gent at the antique and garden show in chico who ask if i ever herd of you he said he had met you once and you had showed him a golf pan with only three cups he said it was a nice one and wasnt sure if you still collected cast but that you were getting into bikes? wish i asked him his name but he was pretty busy,he had a lot of cast iron but was a little high for me i told him i ask you questions on older eries since you are pretty up on them and seem to answer my questions  and that you had given me you phone number and said the next time we take my son to cal pacific med center to call and drop by (dont know if you remember that it was back when you were helping me with old erie dutch ovens with different size eries) i mentioned my son is ill and we frequent the med center often.well anyway thanks for the info steve

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 12:52:02 PM »
Dennis,
Yes, any time you get in the area and want to stop by just do so.  A call isn't necessary but will find out if I am home.  415-453-7790
I can't think of who the man you met is but get his name if you see him again.  That may have been a three cup popover by Wagner I showed him as there aren't any 3-cup golfball pans I know of.
Steve