Author Topic: Heating large griddles  (Read 2381 times)

Dimlock

Heating large griddles
« on: June 03, 2004, 11:18:15 AM »
I finally got around to seasoning a number 11 Griswold griddle, and really like using it.  It sits directly on all four burners on my standard sized stove, touching the raised rim of the bottom of the griddle.  I started out all four burners at the same setting, but of course the larger burners gave off more heat, so I adjusted the heat up for the small ones.

My question is:  How easy is it to crack or warp these larger griddles due to heat variations?  Have you ever done it, or seen it happen?

I would like to keep half of the griddle hotter, say for hashbrowns, and half cooler, like for eggs.  I would also like to put a pot or pan directly on part of the griddle, as all burners are covered by the griddle.  Do you think either of these practices could harm the griddle?  I'm just starting out with a smaller logo version, but I'd really like to put my Griswold's Erie #11 to use, if I can be pretty sure that I'll not hurt it.

Thanks!

Steve_Stephens

Re: Heating large griddles
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 11:31:26 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem if you let the griddle come up to temperature slowly.  Are you using a gas stove?  You won't have any direct contact patches of burner to griddle that way.  Griswold made some round griddles marked "HEAT SLOWLY" so they were aware of the possibility of cracking them.  I sold a No.9 handle griddle from where I sell and it was returned for a refund (given by the mall) and had an open crack from the edge to the center.  The center half of the griddle was darkened from intense heat so the buyer probably put the pan on a preheated electric burner and the iron couldn't take the abuse.  A big No.11 should take a while to heat to useable temperature-at least 5 minutes I would think.  Putting a pot on the griddle surface should have no detrimental effect.  I have heated some skillets too fast with no damage.  Got to be careful of that when one is my Victor 5.  Griswold's iron can take a lot but the griddles must be the most affected by uneven, too-fast heating.
Steve

Offline John Knapp

• I BUY 2 MUCH IRON
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 11:49:45 AM »
Be careful Jesse, I cracked a #14 round griddle by putting it on the electric stove, and i brought it up to temperature gradually..!!!!
John
John

Dimlock

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 04:03:07 PM »
I have electric, so I might just stay with the smaller logo piece for a while.  I've somehow gotten attached to the Griswold's Erie, and don't want to bust it out quite yet.  The edges of the bottom of the griddle are right on the electric burners, and the burners got red way before the griddle was hot.  That makes me nervous, even on a low setting.  :-/

I've used my #14 rounds on the stovetop without incident.  Do you think you had a hairline crack that opened up, or do you think it was uncracked when you set it on the stove?

On one brainless day, I put a #9 skillet on high, just to dry it out quickly.  I actually left the kitchen, took a shower, and came back to a bright red pan.  It burned off all of the seasoning, even up the sides of the pan.  It had a tiny bit of the red scaling when it cooled, but was not warped or cracked.  No more drying on the stovetop for me.   [smiley=stars.gif]

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 06:43:45 PM »
I've used a #8, #9, #10 handled griddle and a 108 skillet griddle for years on an electric stove without any problems.  I usually heat it up on a setting of 2-3 for eggs or pancakes and turn it on about 5 min before I want to use it and it is just fine.  No cracks or problems in any of them yet.

I have electric, so I might just stay with the smaller logo piece for a while.  I've somehow gotten attached to the Griswold's Erie, and don't want to bust it out quite yet.  The edges of the bottom of the griddle are right on the electric burners, and the burners got red way before the griddle was hot.  That makes me nervous, even on a low setting.  :-/

I've used my #14 rounds on the stovetop without incident.  Do you think you had a hairline crack that opened up, or do you think it was uncracked when you set it on the stove?

On one brainless day, I put a #9 skillet on high, just to dry it out quickly.  I actually left the kitchen, took a shower, and came back to a bright red pan.  It burned off all of the seasoning, even up the sides of the pan.  It had a tiny bit of the red scaling when it cooled, but was not warped or cracked.  No more drying on the stovetop for me.   [smiley=stars.gif]

"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Clark Rader

• Forever in our hearts!
  • apaninhand
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 05:45:01 PM »
I have a # 11 Griswold Griddle, and I have a gas stove (lucky me). It fits on 2 burners real good. I heat up the center first than move it to 2 burners. Can't wate to get it out on a open camp fire.
clark
What I know, I keep forgetting.