Author Topic: Griswold damper  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Griswold damper
« on: May 17, 2004, 12:01:16 AM »
Picked up a Griswold damper today at a flea market.   It is marked with the word  "surelock"  
Never heard that before.   Any one have any info??
Note that it has on it " Erie Penn USA"   Never seen Pennsylvania abbreviated as Penn before,  just PA.

Thanks for any info.

Will P. [smiley=smoking.gif]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:05:13 AM by Will_P. »

Offline Will Person

Re: Griswold dampner
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:01:02 AM »
Another picture.

Steve_Stephens

Re: Griswold damper
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 11:34:38 AM »
Will,
I  have not seen dampers marked like this.  Must have been made to be used in Surelock Homes.

Also "Erie Penn USA"  (or maybe just "ERIE PENN") is common on the No.22 corn stick pan.

Steve

Offline Jenny Schwartz

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 11:39:26 AM »
I thought it was neat and it was cheap so we picked it up because it was different.  

Now that you mention it I remember seeing Erie Penn on the breadstick pans.  
Jenny :)

Offline John Knapp

• I BUY 2 MUCH IRON
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 12:38:52 PM »
"PENN" is also on some of the tobacco cutters and also "PENNA".
John
John

Offline Will Person

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 10:36:55 PM »
Also "Erie Penn USA"  (or maybe just "ERIE PENN" is common on the No.22 corn stick pan.

Steve,  I knew there was something marked "PENN"   but after all that walking and the sun my brain was just burned out. [smiley=loopy.gif]

And John,  thanks for the info too on the tobacco cutters.   I just don't have any,...............yet ;D

Offline Nollie Neill Jr

• WAGS member
  • Glascock Stove Historian
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 10:23:36 AM »
Hello All,

Catching up on reading some of the boards.  Didn't realize people were collecting the dampers also.  I've thrown dozens of these away.  I'll have to start watching the markings and let you guys know what I have.

Always enjoy reading all your post.
Hope to meet everyone some day soon.

Take Care,

Nollie Neill, Jr.
Glascock Stove Historian
Glascock Stove Historian / Collector - Great, Great Grandson of Founder - Ennice, NC

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 11:01:40 AM »
Nollie,
I think everything made by Griswold is collected and dampers of many other makes also.  I used to look for them.  The really great dampers are the large 12" to 18" Griswold furnace dampers.  Almost a work of art.  How you doing on your sale of No.2 skillets?
Steve

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 02:15:13 AM »
Speaking of dampers, what were the size of the dampers on display on the favorites tables at the Sidney convention. Anyone remember? Those things were huge.  I wanted pix of those but my batteries died on me.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Will Person

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 07:26:45 AM »
I am pretty sure one was a 16".   Don't know if the other one was 14" or 18"   All I know they were pretty big.

Offline John Knapp

• I BUY 2 MUCH IRON
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 07:50:27 AM »
Paul Baker had the dampers, I saw the big 18" and I believe he also had a 16" and a few smaller ones.  I picked up  a flyer in Philly for an auction that listed some dampers and they listed a 24"......Anybody ever heard of one that big????.....I was gonna call the people but forgot about it.
John
John

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »
Too bad you forgot about that 24" damper John.   I've never heard of one that large but it would be a beauty I bet.  Griswold shows furnace size dampers of 8, 9, 10, and 12" for $3-6 a dozen in their 1915 catalog No.45.  Catalog No.55 c.1930 shows them in sizes 14, 15, 16, and 18" for $22-55 per dozen.   By the 1940-42 catalog the sizes remain the same as the No.55 catalog.  Seems like furnaces were growing in size in these "later" years.   Griswold also offered "damper clips" which had a tail piece also so one could connect the clip and tail piece to a round piece of sheet metal to make your own (custom sized?) damper.  Catalogs give no indication of how large a damper could be made from these clips.  3" was the smallest Griswold damper I know about.
Ever wonder why most dampers have holes in them?     1940-42 catalog says "The present rule relating to manually operated dampers requires that they shall be such that they cannot close off more then 80% of the internal cross section area of the smoke pipe."

Steve

Offline John Knapp

• I BUY 2 MUCH IRON
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 09:17:12 AM »
Steve.......  About 2 years ago there was a 2" Griswold damper on ebay.  I bid on it, but didnt come close.  I think it went off around $125. or so.  I did email the seller and asked if it was a typo and not a 3" but she said it measured 2 inches across.  Like a damn fool I didnt suck the picture off the auction.
John
John

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2004, 10:02:01 AM »
While I believe catalogues are valuable for information, I also believe that a lot of the information about what is available is not entirely accurate.  This discussion seems to support that.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Wulfdog

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 12:41:01 PM »
I have a #8 Griswold Damper.  Guess I got lucky it was in the bottom of an aluminum pan full of CI trivets.

John