Author Topic: Griswold Pan Markings  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Mark Ritter

• WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
Griswold Pan Markings
« on: July 07, 2004, 06:50:50 PM »
Today I ran across a strange Griswald pan.It was a slant/erie (1907-1912) No.11 with ghost markings of a Griswold's Erie (1890-1910).Has anyone ever seen one like this.I would have bought it but the handle had been damaged and welded.What would something like this be worth?  

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
Re: Griswold Pan Markings
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 07:18:08 PM »
a lot of the old slant ERIE skillets in size 10 and larger have ghost markings.  It doesn't increase or decrease value (compared to that of a regular slant/ERIE) but does make a great conversation piece.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:28:35 PM »
Question: How did (or do) ghost markings get on a piece in the first place? Is it an existing skillet that gets re-molded or an existing mold that gets re-made? Just curious. I know more about using a skillet that about making one. Which, come to think of, doesn't have to be much since I know almost nothing about making one. C B
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:38:29 PM »
C.B.
This is only my guess but it makes sense to me.
First, it is a PATTERN that the sand is packed around to make a MOLD.  Molds are a one-time use item and are probaby never reworked.  However, patterns probably were reworked, especially on pieces of lower production.  Old markings could be filled in with a certain material (I don't know what that material might be or even what the old patterns were made of) and new markings made on the pattern.   Once filled in the old markings were no longer visible on the pattern or on the molds made from it.

But with time and many uses of the reworked pattern the material used to fill the old markings may have begun to wear away from repeated packing of the abrasive sand around the pattern.  I am assuming that the filling material would have been softer than the pattern so it would wear away somewhat in time.

I welcome other ideas or any facts about this.

Steve

Offline Mark Ritter

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 09:58:36 PM »
Thanks again all of you.I have learned so much from sitting back just reading all of your comments.This weekend I thought I'd better start supporting this web site.My membership was sent out this weekend.Keep up the fine work.

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 10:05:54 PM »
We had a foundry here in Meridian, MS, that closed several years ago. They made man hole covers, water meter housings and covers, even castings for a steam engine once, among other things.  Soule' steam feed works. I think all their patterns were wood. I will work on that and get back to you. It is now a museum owned privately. C B
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 10:06:59 PM by cbwilliams »
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

moosejaw

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 01:10:23 AM »
Mark,

Glad to have you as a new member!  Welcome to the club.....er, society.   ;D

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 06:36:28 AM »
When WAGS had their convention in OH last year we had several older employees of Wagner Ware as guests and they did a Q&A.  One of the questions was just that raised on this thread and the answer was that the older patterns were filled in and re-worked to make the newer version.  I don't believe they knew what the material was that was used to fill in the pattern.

Another sad part about that Q&A session was the description of the small building in the center of the WW complex that was removed and all the contents burned/melted down.  What were the contents you ask?  All the original Griswold patterns [smiley=crying1.gif]

Welcome to WAGS Mark!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 06:37:30 AM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 10:35:30 AM »
Actually, the Griswolds ERIE ghost mark is most common on the Slant ERIE larger skillets. I have seen it on the 11, 12 and 14. 12 being the most common. I have several slant # 12's and they are all a little different.

John Knapp,
I can't remember but didn't your 13 Slant have a ghost. I know at least one of the largers did but I can't remember on the 13.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 12:43:11 AM »
This is getting interesting. The pans I have seen the Griswolds Erie ghost on the most is the 10 and 11 Slant EPU skillets.
Harry

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 10:26:37 AM »
It is interesting. I was at Larry Foxx's house awhile back and he showed me a slant ERIE #12 that he seemed pretty proud of. He wanted me to guess what made it special and I didn't notice anything I hadn't ever seen before. (no ghost by the way) What he thought was special was it didn't have a tab opposite the handle. He seemed pretty tickled with it so I felt bad telling him I had one as well. Anybody else have any like that.

Another note on slant ERIE's is that some have very light (impressioned) markings and some are deep and sharp. I haven't been able to talk to smart on that but I have some uneducated opinions.

Another thing that drives me nuts is the qoutes around ERIE. Seems to be no ryhme or reason with those either. All I can say is, don't try and put a set together with all qoutes or all non qoutes because I don't believe is can be done. I have personally never seen a slant ERIE #3 without the qoutes. Just an observation.    

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 10:30:25 AM »
Harry,
The more I think about it the more I can't remember if I've seen a 14 with the ghost mark. At one time I was specifically looking for it on slant eries but I just can't remember. I want to change my post to, I think I've seen it on a 14 I just can't remember where. Maybe it was John's 13. John!!!!!!! Help.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 11:14:01 AM »
Troy, I don't think the Griswold Erie pieces were made in size 13 or 14 so you shouldn't be able to find their ghost markings on the Slant series in those sizes. Is there a 13 Griswold's Erie?
Harry

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 11:22:58 AM »
Harry,
I think your right on the Giswolds ERIE but I remember standing on John Knapps stairs looking at his slants discussing ghost marks. There was something about his that caught my attention I just can't for the life of me remember what it was. Maybe it was that little case full of #1's right beside them that were distracting me. Hopefully John will have a better memory than me.

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 11:25:05 AM »
John,
Good to see you back. Can you take a hard look at your Slant ERIEs for Ghost marks. I know we discussed this I just can't remember what we discussed.