Author Topic: Heat Ring Question  (Read 10100 times)

Offline Kenny Davis

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Heat Ring Question
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 09:12:47 AM »
My question originally was why did the HR exist so long after the wood stove era.  Adding strength or preventing warping seems to make the most sense to me after reading all your educated opinions.  This is especially true now that I learn about the larger skillets never being made without them.  I hope I did not bore anyone with this post.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:31 AM »
The discussion on heat rings go way back.  According to an ex-member, (I believe it was a Wagner catalog he quoted from), that Wagner called it a heat rim and that it was to allow the heat to spread out more evenly underneath the skillet to avoid "hot spots".  That doesnt mean it wasn't intended as a leveling means on the older gatemarked cookware.

The notch on a Lodge Heat Ring was also discussed.  Someone said Lodge created the notch to allow heat to escape, then added 2 more notches, but it was mainly a sales/marketing gimmick......but having escape notches sure blows the name "Smoke Ring" out of the water...... ;D

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:49:00 AM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »
My question originally was why did the HR exist so long after the wood stove era.  Adding strength or preventing warping seems to make the most sense to me after reading all your educated opinions.  This is especially true now that I learn about the larger skillets never being made without them.  I hope I did not bore anyone with this post.

I think what we need to remember here is, the "wood stove era" didn't just happen over night. Gas and electric stoves had been on the market a number of years before they "took over the market". Next, the large logo smooth bottom Griswold skillets (c. 1930-1939) came out in these transition years when there were a lot of wood stoves being used, especially in rural areas, which then had a much larger part of the population. With this in mind, I think Griswold was maybe a little ahead of the game in making an item better suited for the new stoves. I even remember when we got rid of the wood stove (early 1950's) , and even then we used a little wood heater in the kitchen in the winter. To end this, I think the "wood stove era" lasted much longer than most realize, thus the need for heat ring skillets.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:00:22 AM by cbwilliams »
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »
All good info....can only add that how many #10s smooth bottoms have you picked up that was warped or a spinner? Me  A BUNCH...Seems like MOST all with the HR don't warp.......... :)

Offline Kenny Davis

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »
Emphasis on most.  My Wapak skillet griddle from Ebay has a HR and is almost a spinner, meaning it wobbles pretty bad.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:33:14 PM by bmwmc »

Offline Kenny Davis

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »
Oh, and CB, your point is well taken.  Perhaps the woodstove era lasted longer than I imagined.

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 10:02:11 PM »
One other thing about the heat ring skillets not being spinners. Even if there is a little bottom warp, the heat ring will usually keep it sitting flat. And, my gas cook top doesn't care if it has a heat ring or not. It will cook exactly the same.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:03:49 PM by cbwilliams »
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.