Author Topic: Newbie-ID help needed  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Adrienne Bordo

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Newbie-ID help needed
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »
I have questions about 3 skillets, two bought this weekend at garage sales. as I'm not sure how to  

1) The small pan marked Chicago Howe Fory Co (if I'm reading it correctly) Favorite Cook Ware. Does anyone have an idea of the age? My favourite grilled cheese pan, just the right size.
2) The larger, hammered looking finish. It has no markings anywhere. Any guesses on the age? What would you call that utensil?
3) The larger skillet with the ridge bottom. Maker? Age?
My thanks to anyone who can help.

Adrienne Bordo (Quebec, Canada- close to the VT border)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:31:45 PM by lillyc »

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
Re: Newbie-ID help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »
The bottom 2 are called broilers. The very bottom one is a Wagner and the hammered one I have seen before, but don't know for sure.
 The top one is Chicago Hardware Foundry.

I'm sure others will be able to tell you more.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:32:28 PM by lillyc »
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »
The blue book (pg 288) shows a Favorite broiler skillet styled similarly to your hammered one in the second and third pictures.  Favorite later became Chicago Hardware Foundry, and the hammering on your broiler looks very much like the hammering we see on CHF items.  That's very nice... wish I had it.

Are there any markings at all on the bottom?  Not even buried in the grooves?
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »
HI  Adrienne, Welcome to WAGS! Great CHF hammered broiler you have there. I have one however it has the shallow hammering and yours has the deep hammering also the pour spouts appear to be different. I like the deep hammer pattern much better. When you have free moment would you please post a detail pic of pour spouts,handle, and give dimensions. Sorry to be such a pain, but I really like hammered iron and the different variations.
   Here is pix of what I have. First pic is my CHF hammered broiler atop a marked Favorite. Second pic is the two side by side. Note the difference in the broiler grease troughs. Thanks for posting...... Ed
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Adrienne Bordo

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »
The hammered broiler has a few differences to the one shown. Spouts & handle are not the same.
Measurements: 10 1/4" OD top edge. 11 3/8" OD including spouts. Handle 4 3/4" long.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:50:13 PM by beartown »

Offline Adrienne Bordo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 02:53:18 PM »
After trying for 10 min on SLOW dial-up to add other pictures to the first message, guess it will have to be multiple messages.
Adrienne

Offline Adrienne Bordo

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
Hard to see in the picture but the spouts have raised bits each side on top of the spout. You can make out one against the green of the chair back.
We know the seller and might be able to find out more about the age of the broiler if anyone is interested.
This forum is great and I thank you for all the help.

Adrienne

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
Adrienne, thank you for broiler info. Very interesting piece,it's smaller than the hammered one I have at 11-3/4" OD ,, 13" at spouts. Also smaller than the marked favorite I have, it measures 12-1/8" OD ,,, 13-1/4" at spouts.
  The handle does resemble some CHF skillets I've seen. Spouts with ridges could be to hold a tin cover in place. My guess skillet circa 1940s. I would love to add it to my collection, but times are tough right now, don't know if I could swing it. If it has not been spoken for please send me a PM/IM message thru this site on what seller is asking for it. Thanks again,
  Ed
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.