Author Topic: Griswold Oval Skillet  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
Griswold Oval Skillet
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:15:27 PM »
I looked at the one in the BB. Is the #13 the only one they made. You can see what this guy did to find out what it said. Didn't seem to mess it up. Just put it in the Lye. Gary my Cast Iron buyer brought it to me tonight because he never seen one like it. Gary Knows nothing about Cast Iron other then the small bit of info I have given him and he gets such good finds for a buck or two I told him I would take all he could buy for a buck or two... ;D

What do you guys think? Are these scarce? I don't sell cast iron on E-Bay but might with this one. 50/50 with Gary. If its only worth 100 or less then I would keep it. Thanks.... :)

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: Griswold Oval Skillet
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:15:55 PM »

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »
They made the #13 #15 and I think Greg has a #16??   They are all HTF.   I think the cheapest oval is a good $150+  and the rarer ones,  like Greg's is $1000++++

Will

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »
I think that they were 13, 15, 16 1/2, and 17???  I think that Greg has the 17 and it is extremely hard to find???   :-/ :-/  I think, could be wrong.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »
I think that they were 13, 15, 16 1/2, and 17???  I think that Greg has the 17 and it is extremely hard to find???   :-/ :-/  I think, could be wrong.

Greg has a 17 or 18 or something along them lines, its not the 16 1/2, I mean, dont' get me wrong, he very well may have a 16 1/2 but he's got something higher than that, I think I have seen it, and I think its an 18.  :-/ But I wouldn't swear to it.

Jesse, the 13 and the 15 are in the BB. I am surprised you did not see the number 15. Also, the number 15 is the only one that Griswold made a lid for. Now Griswold also modified the number five oval roaster lid to fit the number 15 skillet. There was one of these Griswold modified lids at our convention and there is a picture of it in the newsletter and it was mentioned and talked about there as well.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:33:02 PM by butcher »

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
Perry I think that prototype lid for the 15 may very well be the only one that exists??  Not sure.  Greg can probably help us when he gets a chance.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »

Jeff,  I think you are right.

Will 8-)

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 09:20:33 PM »
Just seen the 13...then fliped the page and there was the 15 with cover. Guess I will keep this one. First one I ever seen...thanks....... :)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:07:11 AM »
Perry I think that prototype lid for the 15 may very well be the only one that exists??  Not sure.  Greg can probably help us when he gets a chance.

Jeff, they made a bunch of these lids, they are out there, but not like number 8's now. The one that was at the convention was for sale, so I know it was not a prototype.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 12:19:56 AM »
Perry are you saying that they made several of the modified #5 oval roaster lids??  If you are I did not know that.  I have never seen a pictures of it but I think that I remember hearing that the modification that was done to the oval roaster skillet were tabs that were added so that it would fit the 15 oval.  Is this all correct??

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 12:32:31 AM »
Perry are you saying that they made several of the modified #5 oval roaster lids??  If you are I did not know that.  I have never seen a pictures of it but I think that I remember hearing that the modification that was done to the oval roaster skillet were tabs that were added so that it would fit the 15 oval.  Is this all correct??

Yes Jeff, thats all correct. The tabs were put on the underside of the lid of course, right up against the rim, so the tabs could take up space and the lid would fit snug on the skillet, and yes they made several of them. I would not even know how many. But there are a lot of things that Griswold made that I have not seen and I have seen a bunch. But that lid was for sale, and it was siting on a number 15 oval skillet as well, and they both were for sale.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »
The prototype lids are scarce but there are more than one of them. Greg's # 17 skillet is the only one I know of.

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 11:26:12 AM »
turned out pretty good.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »
Jesse, of what I have, I do not have one of these. Thats a nice piece and you did an excellent job of cleaning it. Did you season it too?  :-/

For some stupid reason, I was thinking that it was a number 15 all along, I mean, we talked about a lid for it, how the modified lid fit, and all that, and then, come to find out, its a number 13, well, there ain't no lid for this, if you didn't know it then, you know it now, AIN'T NO LID for the 13, ain't no factory made lid, ain't no modified lid, ain't no nuthin lid.  ;D