Author Topic: LOCAL MARKET FINDS !!!!  (Read 4029 times)

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

LOCAL MARKET FINDS !!!!
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »
HEY GUYS JUST GOT BACK FROM A LITTLE CAST IRON HUNT AND HERE IS WHAT I FOUND HOPE YOU LIKE.

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

Re: LOCAL MARKET FINDS !!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:01:46 PM »
I ALSO FOUND A REAL #4 WAPAK INDIAN HEAD MEDALLION SKILLET. IT WAS IN PERFECT SHAPE NO RUST ,OR ANY DAMAGE. THE B.B. SAYS IT IS WORTH $400-600 DOLLARS. wHAT IS IT REALLY WORTH ON THE OPEN MARKET ????

Offline Thomas Oen

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
I personally think the book may be close this time. The guy I got mine from about a year ago started out wanting $600 but i ended up getting it for a little over $400. Does an individual or a dealer have it? I remember one on EBAY about 3-4 years ago that ended up selling for $2025. Had to be 2 nuts that wanted it. Let us know how it goes.  What were the items you did get?  Tom

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »
I personally think the book may be close this time. The guy I got mine from about a year ago started out wanting $600 but i ended up getting it for a little over $400. Does an individual or a dealer have it? I remember one on EBAY about 3-4 years ago that ended up selling for $2025. Had to be 2 nuts that wanted it. Let us know how it goes.  What were the items you did get?  Tom

THE ITEMS IN THE PICTURE ARE GRISWOLD #68 ROUND CASSEROLE, GRISWOLD 5 QT. COLONIAL DESIGN SAFETY FILL KETTLE #A545, GRISWOLD #8 LG.TM SKILLET, GRISWOLD #5 SM. TM. SKILLET, WESTERN IMPORTING CO. HEART SHAPED DESIGN WAFFLE IRON AND MATCHING BASE, AND A HAMMERED SKILLET WITH THE MARKINGS 889a I DO NOT KNOW WHO MAKES IT YET THAT WAS GOING TO BE MY NEXT QUESTION. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO MADE THIS SKILLET AND POSSIBLE AGE ? AS TO THE #4 WAPAK I AM GOING BACK TO WHERE I FOUND IT TODAY AND BUY IT HOPEFULLY BEFOR ANYONE ELSE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. ONCE I GET IT IN MY GREEDY LITTLE HANDS I WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY WHERE I FOUND IT AND THE UNBELIEVABLE PRICE I TALKED THE OWNER OF THE SKILLET DOWN TO. :-X ::)  DETAILS AND PICTURES WILL BE FORTH COMING VERY SOON.  :o

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »
The hammered skillet from the discription probably was made by the Chicago Hardware Foundry Co. I have no ideal about the age.
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23:31 PM »
Albert, Keep in mind the # 4 Indian Head skillet has been reproduced. Go to the reproductions section and check out the differences.
Harry

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »
Albert I just want to reiterate what Harry has said.  Make darn sure it does not have the regular skillet handle!!!

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:05:24 PM »
THANKS GUYS I CHECKED THE REPO STUFF OUT AND THE MORE FAKE STUFF I SEE THE MORE POSITIVE I AM IT IS REAL. ;D I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A CLOSE UP OF A REAL ONE IF I COULD ? THAT SURE WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.

Offline Thomas Oen

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 12:52:19 AM »
Do you have a copy of the blue book?  the difference in the handles are shown on page 299  of the blue book.  The number 4 should be in a recessed dimple on the topside of the handle where the handle joins the skillet. If there is a 4 on the bottom side of the skillet close to the Indianhhead, it is a repo. You may want to check EBAY under WAPAK and see if there any listed with photos of a Wapak Indianhead. All sizes of the Wapak Indianhead skillets have the same type of handle. Good luck Tom

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 07:45:26 AM »
The RED and BLUE books will save you more money than the cost of the books.  As for the #4 Wapak, if it has the handle of a true WAPAK Indian skillet, then it is real, as all the repros have the 'normal skillet handle'.  Darn hard skillet to find.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Thomas Oen

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 08:33:48 AM »
HI Albert, If you want to see a pictureof a true Wapak Indianhead  skillet go to EBAY and type in WAPAK . There is a # 7 indianhead listed and it has different photos and close up views of an Indianhead handle. REMEMBER IF IT HAS A 4 ON THE BOTTOMSIDE close to the Indianhead it probably a repo

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »
HEY GUYS, I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE LOCAL FLEA MARKET AND THE VENDOR WAS PACKED UP AND GONE... :-/ SO NO #4 WAPAK FOR ME.  I WISH I WOULD OF HAD MY BOOKS ON ME YESTERDAY BUT I HAD FORGOT THEM IN THE HOUSE WHEN WE HAD LEFT. I HOPE SOME DAY I WILL FIND ANOTHER ONE.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
HEY GUYS, I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE LOCAL FLEA MARKET AND THE VENDOR WAS PACKED UP AND GONE... :-/ SO NO #4 WAPAK FOR ME.  I WISH I WOULD OF HAD MY BOOKS ON ME YESTERDAY BUT I HAD FORGOT THEM IN THE HOUSE WHEN WE HAD LEFT. I HOPE SOME DAY I WILL FIND ANOTHER ONE.
Albert,

I know how you feel.  I've been there before and left my books at home, not once, but twice and it cost me several good items.  I keep them in my truck at all times now and a set in my home office and another set in my hospital office, as I get emails and calls all the time asking me about items.  Go back to the flea market when it is open again, he/she will be back.  Of if you know the organizer, perhaps you can get their phone number
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.