Author Topic: Remember those Cast Iron Andirons in the Shape of Owls ...  (Read 708 times)

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Remember those Cast Iron Andirons in the Shape of Owls ...
« on: July 16, 2022, 06:43:44 PM »
Well, it turns out many of them aren’t as old as people want to believe they are. Here is a page from a 1978 mail order catalog. As you can see, the owls were available complete with glass eyes for $31.95. If you think that’s a good price, I have a 1964 catalog that has them for only $10.95. A 1971 catalog has them for $12.95. So one can see that inflation between 1964 and 1971 wasn’t that bad. The owls only went up in price by roughly 18% in those 7 years. Jumping from 1971 to 1978, however, one can see that in those 7 years, the price for the owls shot up by a whopping 147%. So, just in case you weren’t around in the 1970's, that’s how bad inflation got after the oil embargo earlier in that decade. All it took for prices to shoot up was a global crisis, you know, just as we are living through today.
Just for full disclosure, it wasn’t just the owl andirons that shot up in price. There are plenty of other items in these catalogs that had the same huge price increase by the end of the 1970's. I thought these andirons just made a better example than say, soapstone griddles.

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
Re: Remember those Cast Iron Andirons in the Shape of Owls ...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 10:01:12 PM »
Thank you Russell
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Valerie Johnson

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 06:43:44 AM »
Not only were prices affected by the oil embargo but the 1970's was the era of government pollution regulations and they affected a lot of businesses

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 11:27:01 AM »
I sure do remember the oil embargo. I graduated from high school in '73 and it cramped my life style. back then. Said we would be out of oil in FIVE years and we believed them! :grin: :grin: :grin: Man, that was 50 years ago! Lines of 50 to 100 cars just to buy FIVE gallons of fuel! :cry: Worked in the pest control industry back then also. That was when DDT became highly restricted along with Toxaphene. Change is constant :scratchchin:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:13:07 AM by Duke Gilleland »
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Lee Bowen

• WAGS member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 05:16:58 PM »
Duke, I remember Tricky Dick declaring an oil shortage shortly after OPEC formed and tightened their grasp on the world oil supplies.  I was pumping gas after school when regular leaded gasoline jumped from .25 to .32 overnight. Then came odd days and even days.  I also graduated in '73 and remember when you could fill up your car, buy a case of beer (legal drinking age was 18 at the time), take your girl to the skating rink or movies (.50 admission at either place), grab a burger basket and drink after (less than $5 for both of us), and still have change for a $20 bill when you dropped her off at her house.  Amazing what moving the decimal point one space to the right will do. Those definitely were the good old days.

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 07:11:53 AM »
Yep, I can remember saying when gas went to $1 a gallon that I would QUIT driving! :kaioken: Russell, sorry to take your thread over...just "ol folks" reminiscing.  :scratchchin:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:18:03 AM by Duke Gilleland »
Nowhere But TEXAS!