Author Topic: Is This Trivet Antique or a Vintage Reproduction?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Is This Trivet Antique or a Vintage Reproduction?
« on: November 29, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »
I found the trivet on the left in the first photo recently. The trivet on the right is a vintage Lodge #538. These two trivets are both of the design known as Hex. So how can you tell how old each is and if they are originals or reproductions? A good indication of an old trivet is found by looking at the length of the feet, examining for gate marks, and how the gate marks were cleaned up at the factory. The larger, unmarked, trivet on the left has 1 1/2” long feet, so it’s about 2 inches tall, total. The Lodge marked 538 trivet on the right has 5/8” long feet. It’s about 3/4” tall. They both have side gates that were mechanically ground, but the smaller trivet has smaller and thinner gates. The larger trivet shows little if any original paint finish, and the Lodge has most of its black paint still intact. The larger trivet has wear marks on the bottom of its feet, and the Lodge still has enamel paint on its feet. The larger trivet is thicker in general too. It was made for use. The Lodge was made with short feet primarily for decoration or being hung on a kitchen wall. As far as age, the larger trivet on the left is antique in age and more than likely made between 1890 and the 1920's. If the gate marks had multi-directional file marks on them, the trivet would be older. Lodge catalogs from the late 1960's and 1980's have the #538 reproduction trivet listed in them (as well as other reproduction styles).
It is not common to find such an old trivet these days, especially in a local antique mall. Reproductions are usually all I see, and I saw plenty that day for more than what I paid for this old timer. So for $8, I had to pick it up and share it here.

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
Re: Is This Trivet Antique or a Vintage Reproduction?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 12:35:51 AM »
Thank you Russell
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Fuchs

• WAGS member
  • Saugus/Hammersmith 1642-1672
Re: Is This Trivet Antique or a Vintage Reproduction?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 02:14:55 AM »
Nice piece.