Author Topic: Wok  (Read 631 times)

Offline Tommy Bullard

• WAGS: the heartbeat of cast iron collecting
Wok
« on: January 02, 2023, 04:07:00 PM »
This is my most prized kitchen cast iron possession to date. The Chinese know a thing or two about cooking with cast iron and this wok was made in china, very thin walled gets hot fast and cools off fast. The Chinese like lots of heat, professionals may use several hundred thousand btu's. The stove in this pic puts out about 10,000 btu, the average home gas stove is around 750 btu on the top eyes I think. Get the heat high enough and you do not have to worry about everything being dry before you toss it in to get a good sear. If you want to sear thin cuts of meat (fajitas) the wok is my go to tool. The wok has a round bottom which is superior to a flat bottom when it comes to woks, less oil is needed. I paid a whopping $25 for the wok new. Because it is thin you don't want to drop it or bang it hard with the side of a metal spatula. Use one of these and you will not want to go back to a lodge IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 05:25:10 PM by Cheryl Watson »

Offline Tommy Bullard

Re: Wok
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 04:17:04 PM »
Dad gum pics are sideways all I can say is open them up and they will look like they are supposed to.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 05:29:19 PM »
Hi Tommy !

I resized your pics for you so that they would be easier to view when clicked on. : :smiley:

1920 x 1080  is a good size file size for the Forum. 

This image resizer is handy !  I've been using it for many years  :wink: :wink: https://download.cnet.com/Image-Resizer-for-Windows/3000-12511_4-75937402.html

Offline Tommy Bullard

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 12:06:22 AM »
Thanks, I guess I better get this figured out, I'll have to find a different app because I do not have Windows.

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 04:52:28 PM »
Tommy I like using a Wok as well. They're great! Mine is a spun steel one, is yours steel or cast?
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson