Author Topic: How much is my spider skillet worth and who made it  (Read 775 times)

Offline David Humphries

• WAGS: the heartbeat of cast iron collecting
How much is my spider skillet worth and who made it
« on: May 29, 2023, 10:43:04 PM »
Greetings. I have several cast iron items but am stumped as to the maker and value of this 12 inch camp stove.  I tried to bring the lid lettering up with caulk but failed. All I can read is  the "No. 12 in" on the handle. Does anyone out there recognize the maker and possibly know what the value is? Thanks for listening. I'm anxious to know something about it.

David
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 08:26:17 PM by David Humphries »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: How much is my camp stove worth and who made it
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 11:47:01 PM »
Hello David ! and Welcome to WAGS Forum!

Unfortunately your picture did not 'attach'/upload.

To attach one photo you need to click on Choose File, and the select the pic on your device that you want to upload.

To add additional photos, click on More Attachments, and another Chose File Box will appear.

You can repeat the above for each additional picture (maximum of 10).

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: How much is my spider skillet worth and who made it
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 12:04:58 AM »
David I see you figured the pictures out!

Are you able to read any of the markings on the Lid? 

This one is in pretty rough shape, so values would depend on restored condition.

I 'suspect' it this Camp Leg /Spider skillet may be 'newer', due to the round shape of the legs,

But without clearer markings, I am uncertain.  :smiley:

Offline David Humphries

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 09:12:14 AM »
Thanks for taking your time to reply. My apologies for not having cleaned it up but it's part of an estate and I just haven't had time. The previous owner died in his 90s and this was in his shed. I found an old Blacklock, a twin in both size an configuration, as I was researching last night and it had the extensive lettering circling the lid top just like this one does. (Mine illegible from the rust unfortunately.) Mine also has a gate mark but no heat ring. What do you think it's value is "as is"? Thanks again for taking time to help me on this. The next time I post a piece of cast iron I will be sure it is in a presentable shape.

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 01:17:00 PM »
David,
The camp skillet pictured is in bad shape, especially the lid. Honestly, it is not something I would give money for. When asked for the value, we refer most people to search completed auctions on ebay. Some people might give $50 for it. Others would want to see it cleaned up before even considering an offer. Cracks, especially where the handle attaches, can be really difficult to spot on a really dirty piece. Even though I just viewed another cracked piece for sale on ebay, few people buy these pieces knowing they are cracked, and no one enjoys finding a crack after paying for AND cleaning a piece. But that’s my soapbox speech for the day.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 02:19:03 PM »
Here is a picture of my blacklock lid

Offline David Humphries

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 04:38:37 PM »
Thanks for all the input y'all are giving. I have cleaned it up sufficiently enough to clearly see "Louisville, KY" on the lid. My next step will be an electrolysis tank. If I still can't read the other lettering perhaps one of you will know what it is. Thanks

Offline David Humphries

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 11:01:05 PM »
Ha! I got it! Kentucky Stove Co. Louisville Ky  Anything special about these skillets?

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 07:07:51 AM »
My "guess" :scratchchin: is that it's like those made by hundreds of other foundries during the period. Nothing special. If cleaned up and seasoned, would probably still bake a decent batch of biscuits over a bed of coals today :1076:
Nowhere But TEXAS!