Author Topic: Cathode material  (Read 17485 times)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
Re: Cathode material
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 07:19:10 AM »
Don't get me wrong, the hexavalent ions are dangerous.  But I have yet to see convincing data that electrolysis will make enough (if any) of the ions to make the soup dangerous.  One also has to remember that SS is not all the same and process of electrolysis in one set up using Brand A SS may make hexavalent ions, whereas  Brand B of SS may not make any.  SS is not composed of the same material and the amount of Chromium metal can be from 4-27 percent.  http://www.sapiensman.com/conversion_tables/stainless_steel_composition.htm
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 10:18:03 PM »
Heres more SS info.  http://www.ssina.com/overview/alloyelements_intro.html
 I've had my set up for 4 years, I've never dumped the solution. It evaporates, I add more water and ph+ and wipe the anode down with a brush on a broom stick. I've had the same SS anode also, which is what we are talking about, not the cathode. The cathode is the piece being cleaned.
    Greg the test strips you speak of ,are they similar to test strips for pools in that they change colors if hexavalent or trivalent chromium is present. I would like to purchase a couple to test mine clear at the bottom in the sludge. Can the average Joe buy them?
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

gt

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »
Good question Ed.  I'm also interested in testing mine.

junkswap

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 02:20:51 AM »
Not sure if its the same thing or not? But my father inlaw works for A gas and water utility. He has strips that you run under water. He then puts them in A machine that reads them.
But he has been at it so long he can look at the strip and read it.

If its the strips needed I can get some and mail them to who wants them?
B/W

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 06:02:41 AM »
Geez, I don't remember where I bought them, but it may have been Sigma-Aldrich and I believe anyone can buy them. I'll see if I can find them

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 06:10:53 AM »
Well they are not at Sigma, so I'm not sure where I bought them.  But you can check out these sites.

http://www.purewater4u.com/store/its/chromium.shtml

http://www.acustrip.com/homeprod.html

http://www.sensafe.com/itseurope/glvirtualcreampopouts/480047.php

I don't know what ions they measure however.  Also, Ed is correct, I have never dumped my solution, just add more hot water and soda.  IMO, if I ever did dump the water, I'd be more concerned about all the paint and if the paint had lead on it that was removed from a lot of those pans I 've bought that were painted black.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 06:13:24 AM by admin »

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 09:36:24 PM »
Just like the strips I check the pool and hot tub with. Thanks for the sites Greg.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Teleking

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »
Ok the links for the test strips don't work anymore for the most part.  However, I have seen them in other places and I am bettting that they are not sensitive enough.  You will need to send a sample to the lab as the drinking water standard is 35 parts per billion or 0.035 parts per million.  

Has anyone sent a sample to the lab for testing?  IMO, i think that advising people to dump tanks out onto the ground when they are done in the tutorial section is a little irrisponsible.  Just in case you are wondering I am an environmental consultant.  

fatfutures

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 10:54:27 AM »
Well, as others have said... most of us NEVER dump our tanks. There is absolutely no reason to. There are always more pieces of iron to be cleaned  ;) I just keep topping off my tank as needed. And, I don't think that I'll ever have to worry about my stainless getting holes... this baby is stout. But, in case it does.... I've got another tank, just like it, waiting in the wings.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »
I don't dump my water either, but rather just add to it as it evaporates.  Here is an article about process and the chromium compounds produced.  My tank has never even gotten warm while cleaning.  

http://www.fboerger.com/Articles/StainlessOpinion.pdf

Truthfully, I worry more about all the mercury that will be hitting the landfills from all the compact fluorescent light bulbs.  They are glorified in the media as the answer to everyone's electric consumption problems, yet they have enough mercury to qualify as a hazardous spill if you break one of them.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 11:52:18 AM by rogbarfield »
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Teleking

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »

Truthfully, I worry more about all the mercury that will be hitting the landfills from all the compact fluorescent light bulbs.  They are glorified in the media as the answer to everyone's electric consumption problems, yet they have enough mercury to qualify as a hazardous spill if you break one of them.  

Very interesting article, thanks.  In the other thread that I started someone is going to send a sample out for analysis.  What about all the other heavy metals in stainless?  The sacrificial cathode is depleted over time and it has to go somewhere.  Needless to say that I will not have a permanent tank after my pans are done and will not be using SS.  

As for compact fluorescent bulbs, well that is a whole other topic.  On a side note, most modern day landfills are lined and sealed with leechate treated.  

Thanks all, cheers.

livens

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
I don't dump my water either, but rather just add to it as it evaporates.  Here is an article about process and the chromium compounds produced.  My tank has never even gotten warm while cleaning.  

Yes, thanks for posting that! I had read about the Cr(VI) awhile back and it made me stay far away from using SS in my tank. Buy after reading that my worries are gone.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »
as I have stated in the past, I've tested my SS tank and there was no Cr (VI) in it.  Now here's another person with more experience than me and he says the same thing.  There will always be at least one person out there that will refute anything you say, no matter what you say or do.

After one of us dies from Chromium poisoning from the low voltage systems we use, then I'll be a little more suspect.

Teleking

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
as I have stated in the past, I've tested my SS tank and there was no Cr (VI) in it.

Did you send it to a lab or use test strips?  The test strips are not capable of PPB.  Waht about all the other heavy metals in SS?? It's not just chromium that is bad for the environmment!

Offline Raymond Dube

• WAGS member
  • Momma said there'd be days like this!!
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 12:10:50 AM »

Needless to say that I will not have a permanent tank after my pans are done and will not be using SS.  

From your responses here and in the other thread, you plan on setting up an electro so you can do your pans, and then you plan on getting rid of it? That alone doesn't sound environmentally freindly (but I could be wrong). Now call me a fool, but why bother? I bet you could find someone to do it for you...and the cost of getting your pieces done could be somewhat recouped from the money you would have spent setting up your own electro. I'm not a collector, nor do I have an electro tank, so I really don't have any stake in this, but it just seems silly to set up a tank for a limited amount of work...wouldn't it be better to use a tank that someone has set up permanently...just my opinion...
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional! ;)

Teleking

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
From your responses here and in the other thread, you plan on setting up an electro so you can do your pans, and then you plan on getting rid of it? That alone doesn't sound environmentally freindly (but I could be wrong). Now call me a fool, but why bother? I bet you could find someone to do it for you...and the cost of getting your pieces done could be somewhat recouped from the money you would have spent setting up your own electro. I'm not a collector, nor do I have an electro tank, so I really don't have any stake in this, but it just seems silly to set up a tank for a limited amount of work...wouldn't it be better to use a tank that someone has set up permanently...just my opinion...

Really not that hard actually.  I set a tank up at my buddies house in 15 mins yesterday with pile of scrap cast iron pipe heading to recyling yard and a plastic trash can.  We hooked up his 40 amp battery charger and off you go.  No money spent other tan pH+ and my buddy bought that.  

Teleking

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »
as I have stated in the past, I've tested my SS tank and there was no Cr (VI) in it.  Now here's another person with more experience than me and he says the same thing.  There will always be at least one person out there that will refute anything you say, no matter what you say or do

So where is the analytical results to share with us????  The test strips are not sensitive enough to detect the concentrations mentioned above.  As with the other thread, show me where the metal goes.  

Offline Raymond Dube

• WAGS member
  • Momma said there'd be days like this!!
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »
Really not that hard actually.  I set a tank up at my buddies house in 15 mins yesterday with pile of scrap cast iron pipe heading to recyling yard and a plastic trash can.  We hooked up his 40 amp battery charger and off you go.  No money spent other tan pH+ and my buddy bought that.  
LOL...I guess settng up a tank is easier than I thought...never really explored the idea very much as I, too, only have a few pieces that need to be done...will probably try using lye first, though...as there seems to be little to no rust on the pieces...
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional! ;)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »
Ray, if you have just a few pieces that you want to clean, and rust is not a factor, and even if it is, for like a couple pieces, then an electro tank is not worth setting up for you. I'd just throw a lye tank together, take you about 10 minutes, and then what rust there was, I'd either use vinegar or just a SS chore boy and then follow that up with an SOS pad. You'll be pleasantly surprised how good that does.  :)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
I am just now reading this thread, the whole thread. I didn't know this discussion was going on here. I knew there was/is a discussion going on on another thread about SS and its use in the electro, but I have been reading that one, and not this one. I'm glad I finally seen this one.