Author Topic: Cathode material  (Read 17482 times)

fatfutures

Re: Cathode material
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 05:13:03 PM »
as I have stated in the past, I've tested my SS tank and there was no Cr (VI) in it.

Did you send it to a lab or use test strips?  The test strips are not capable of PPB.  Waht about all the other heavy metals in SS?? It's not just chromium that is bad for the environmment!

<snicker> Looking forward to Greg's response!

Greg... Just don't let your blood pressure get outta hand  :)

Erich... may I ask your purpose for joining this forum? I think that, given a chance, you'll find this to be a very friendly and accomodating group of people. Starting off with an antagonistic approach might not be the best way to begin...  

Perhaps you would consider writing up an introduction and sharing what got you "started" with cast iron? Give folks a chance to "get to know you" before reviving a discussion that's been had several times.

Just a suggestion... Ya know what they say about honey versus vinegar.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
Hey Michelle I can't wait to here what Greg says either!  Probably doesn't know what Greg does.

I spoke to two different chemistry professors today regarding this very topic.  I got laughed at.  Went something like this "You undergrads.  Do you have any idea how much energy it takes to create enough hexavalent chromium to be of any concern to you?"  My respose: "If I did do you think that I would have asked you the question?"

Then he spouted off a bunch of numbers and facts.  I think that he was speaking French because I did not understand a work that he said.  Then he told me that I did not have anything to worry about.  You can't get the kind of energy from a twelve volt battery charger!

After reading the article that Roger posted, I agree.  If you don't like it then don't do it.  For that matter you better not eat the soil from around the house of someone that does!!

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 06:07:42 PM »
I was going to mention WHO Greg is and the resources at his disposal. But as a new guy I did not think it was my place.
I hear voices..........and they don't like you!

Offline Daniel McDowell

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 06:17:54 PM »
[

So where is the analytical results to share with us????  The test strips are not sensitive enough to detect the concentrations mentioned above.  As with the other thread, show me where the metal goes.  
[/quote]

In this quote there is the reference to me!!! I guess I'm part of the " us " but for my part I don't need to be shared with, I've been messing with Nuke's and Nuke types starting in 1976 I usually can find my own answer and satisfaction, I've found some good comes from healthy debates, and very little good comes from round de round debates, nobody ever wins, to quote Forrest Gump "Some Times There Just Ain't  Enough Rocks, Jenny"
Scotch/Irish Forever "AMEN"

Teleking

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 08:53:47 AM »

My posting here is a genuine concern that people are cleaning cast iron cook ware that comes into contact with food in a potentially hazardous manner.  Based on what I could find on Google there is an argument for both sides of the fence but no scientific facts to support it either way.  Not here to cause trouble, just looking for the facts.  

Offline Daniel McDowell

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 02:06:10 PM »
Disposable Diaper fight???? hey!!!! I can do that but in the olden days of cotton diapers I could take three corners of one, give it about three spins over my head and let'er fly out the back door, unload that thing up to about 25yrds.
Scotch/Irish Forever "AMEN"

Teleking

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:46 AM »
Ahhh, Erich, you did test that pile of iron pipe for "LEAD" content didn't you?  Hope you didn't pour that stuff out on the ground or down the sewer!  :-/

Yeah right next to the waste oil pond

Charlee

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 10:00:51 AM »
Let's just put it this way Erich.  If Greg says it's safe, that's good enough for me.  The man has more letters after his name than he's got in his name!   The guy cleans with electro, using stainless, and he's got young children that he idolises.  I'm pretty sure that he's not going to put them in jeopardy for any piece of cast iron that might exist, and if it's good enough for them, then it works for me!
What are your credentials?  Is there something more to your education than Google?

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08:30 AM »
 Greg isn't online right now, but he left this sign with me in case it was needed.

[smiley=feedtroll.gif]
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »
Thanks for everyone's concern about my BP, but the last time mine was measured it was 94/58, so it is very low at this point in my life.  But you keep forgetting something very important.

[smiley=feedtroll.gif]

I but don't believe ole Erich cares about my credentials, as he is a TROLL.  I can find posts on the Internet to say one thing and also another.  An example... did you know that the Earth is FLAT!!  Yes and there is an entire organization that says so.

THE FLAT EARTH SOCIETY

Now if you want to satisfy ole Erich, you will all need to say the following, "YES I have 6 ppb of Chromium VI in my tank.  I have disassembled my tank, called in HAZMAT.  Thank you for making me aware of my environmental duties."

As a troll, you see that he has now changed his issue from chromium to

It's not just chromium that is bad for the environmment!

Waht about all the other heavy metals in SS??

It would be interesting to know if any other heavy metals used in SS get put into solution also.  Not sure of the lab capabilities.  If at all possible, have the lab run RCRA -8 metals or Priority Pollutant Metals – 13 (PPM-13)

So, once you pay that lab to measure your chromium VI, you'll just get requests from the TROLL for more tests and then more.  so don't feed the troll.   He's a visitor on our site for 7 days and makes a total of 15 posts, all on chromium VI, nothing else................

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:35:13 AM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2009, 11:10:57 AM »
I wonder if that spray will work on my phone? If I spray it on my phone will it get rid of unwanted callers wanting to sell me junk?

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »
I wonder if that spray will work on my phone? If I spray it on my phone will it get rid of unwanted callers wanting to sell me junk?
Nope but this one will work.

https://www.donotcall.gov/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:26:21 AM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

fatfutures

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2009, 11:36:58 AM »
You'd think that would work, right Greg? I'm here to tell you... it doesn't! I have all of our numbers listed and get numerous calls. So, I take the time to report the offending callers and I still get calls from them.

Kinda cheeses me off.

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »
 There is a big stink on now in Canada about the do not call database that was set up here. All the telemarketers have access to the list of names and numbers, but the law only applies to Canadian firms. Now American and other nationality firms get their hands on this handy database and go to work making more calls than anyone ever got before. It's worse if you sign up.

Chris
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2009, 12:29:21 PM »
WELL, if you are having trouble locating Stainless Steel for your electro tank, the first place I would look is my local junkyard, scrap dealer, recycling center, one of them places. I had a WAGS member, said he looked high and low, and looked everywhere, and could not find any Stainless Steel for his electro.

Well, I found it, one phone call, that was it, they asked me how much I needed, they said they usually had a ton or two at all times laying around somewhere. SO, I went there and got some nice size sheets, that would/will fit down into a 55 gallon barrell, cost me almost 12.00 for damn near what seemed like a trunk full.

I got about 12 pieces, lets see, I have the same two pieces I started with, and they have lasted over five years, so I got two dollars in them pieces, and so that means that my Stainless Steel for my electro is costing me forty cents per year.

Now I figure if I use these a couple more years I can get that forty cents per year down into the 35 cents per year range. I ain't too good at math, so if somebody wants to rework them numbers, knock yourself out.  ;)

Offline Lee Sumner

• My Name Is Nobody
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
WELL, if you are having trouble locating Stainless Steel for your electro tank, the first place I would look is my local junkyard, scrap dealer, recycling center, one of them places. I had a WAGS member, said he looked high and low, and looked everywhere, and could not find any Stainless Steel for his electro.

Well, I found it, one phone call, that was it, they asked me how much I needed, they said they usually had a ton or two at all times laying around somewhere. SO, I went there and got some nice size sheets, that would/will fit down into a 55 gallon barrell, cost me almost 12.00 for damn near what seemed like a trunk full.
I'm one of those who can't seem to find any SS either >:( Perry i just made some phone calls and It seems these places only sell to mills and not the public >:( dang it. thanks for the advise though

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
I'm one of those who can't seem to find any SS either >:( Perry i just made some phone calls and It seems these places only sell to mills and not the public >:( dang it. thanks for the advise though

Lee,
   I have 4 Stainless steel plates, 9"x 14". About 1/16" thick and the finest food grade. I think they would fit easy in a flat rate box. There are blocky little hinge tabs to use for attaching the cables, or to hang them. I have bigger pieces too, but the shipping cost would be prohibitive.
You can have them for just the shipping if you want them. I'm not sure if they are large enough for your purposes.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:12:09 PM by Fryerman »

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »
Chris, that's real nice. Man I love this place!
I hear voices..........and they don't like you!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
Hey Chris, if I pay the postage on that old skillet there, with that funky handle, that don't look good on, and is messin up your nice pretty, oh so beautiful stove, can I have it for the price of that SS to Lee?

And I never seen folks having so much trouble getting SS.  :-/ Maybe we are selling it all. I have not researched it of late, and it may still be so, but, did you all know, that the LARGEST EXPORT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA was scrap iron not so long ago? We sold it in containers ships and bought it back in boxed products. We sold it by the metric ton and then bought it, and are buying it, back by the ounce. What a deal.  :o

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »
Robert,
  I didn't pay anything for the stainless scrap I have, so I don't mind giving some away. Even at $10 or less for shipping, it's still more than it's worth. I'm sure if Lee keeps his eyes open, he will find something local for less. I'm just giving him an option.

Perry,
Glad you like the stove. I don't care for the glass cook-top, but the self-cleaning oven comes in handy for cleaning iron.

Chris