Author Topic: ERIE Tea Kettle  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
ERIE Tea Kettle
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:37:38 PM »
Picked this one up today. It needs some help though. Of course it's been painted. I can't seem to find one that isn't. It has one of 3 possible platings under the paint. It'll have to visit the electro tank of course, but I was wondering about taking it apart first. Can these bail handles be removed easily? I don't want to go bending one of the ends, and snap it off. Also, can the knob on the lid survive the electro? I assume it's solid ceramic, and shouldn't be affected. Any and all help is welcome. Thanks
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: ERIE Tea Kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »
It's a #7 by the way. It's the first ERIE I've seen around here.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:40:10 PM by crogers561 »
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:32:30 AM »
Maybe I should get this moved to the cleaning section.

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:10:28 AM »
I don't know the condition of the handle, but if it's not too far gone straighten out the front end (next to the spout) just enough so that when you push it, it comes out of the front bracket. At that point you should be able to rotate the handle enough to remove the other end. That's about the only way you can do it and I hope it hasn't got brittle over the years.
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »
That's my concern Sam. I'd hate to bend it open, and have it snap off.  :(  I've had WI alaska handles do that to me. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »
That's my concern Sam. I'd hate to bend it open, and have it snap off.  :(  I've had WI alaska handles do that to me. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Well Chuck, if you ask me, you shouldn't have bought the damn thing to start with, they are a pain in the arse to clean, they got all them nooks and crannies, and you'll NEVER get all that scale off thats on the inside. But I sure do like to look at them. Thats what I was thinkin of saying Chuck, but I won't say that.  ::)

Actually, I got a couple three and I do like them, but they are a problem cleaning, thats for sure, and I don't know if electro will take that scale off or not. If anybody knows of a good way to get the inside clean, I'd like to know about it.  :)

miniwoodworker

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »
Wonder if boiling a water/vinegar solution in it would help?

Lee

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »
Wonder if boiling a water/vinegar solution in it would help?

Lee

Thats a good question Lee. I sure don't know the answer. Now our very own Tom (McGiver) Neitzel might know. I know Tom can set the points on a  lightning bugs generator and adjust the fuel intake.  ;)

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »
I haven't read the instructions, but what would "CLR" do to the inside?
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »
I haven't read the instructions, but what would "CLR" do to the inside?

I have no idea what that is Sam.  :-/

Charlee

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
Perry, it's like "Lime Away"...

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 11:34:53 PM »
Thats what I used on mine and it was a complete, and the suspense, failure/success.  I don't have an ERIE but it is cast iron and says something like Wagner on it but don't tell anyone okay.  It took the scale off but then you have to get the dam rust out of it.  That is the tricky part.  Then on top of that you have to find some way to season it so that the water you boil in it will not eventually take off you seasoning.

I'm with Perry.  These things are awesome but only if you buy one that someone else has taken the time to clean.

Vinegar did work to get the rust out and here is how I did it.  I would 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water for 1 hour at a time.  Then I would scrub the rust with a stainless steel wool.  I repeated this until the rust was gone, probably 7 or 8 times.  

Personally Chuck I would try to find a way to electro it if at all possible.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »
I hung it in the electro this morning. Didn't take it apart. The handle just didn't feel like it would bend without breaking, so in it went. I just checked it. The paint is all but gone. I added a steel rod that is bent on a 90 degree angle, and connected that to the positive. It sticks out into the inside of the tea kettle. I've heard that this will help get the crude on the inside. It has worked before. I'll check it again tomorrow afternoon. It should be done by then.

Charlee

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 01:02:41 AM »
 I have a tea kettle that I need to clean also but have been putting it off till I can come up with a bright idea.

;D

~biting my tongue~

;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:03:35 AM by Charlee »

miniwoodworker

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 07:23:29 AM »
CLR -
http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

Quote from their FAQ.

Can I clean cast iron with CLR?
No, CLR cannot be used on cast iron; the acids in CLR will react with the metal.

Lee

mississippi_slim

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »
chuck you cant clean the inside and outside at the same time..get the biggest metal object that will fit inside..fix it where it wont short out..attach a lead wire where your charger lead wont be under water..( it will ruin your + charger clamp ) put the whole thing under water..i cleaned a small wagner last week for a lady and it had been painted 3 different colors..i would have made instant coffee in the kettle after two 135 minute rounds in the electro..

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »
Well, the electro worked out pretty good. I could have had a bigger anode, but it served the purpose. This was used like most old TK's, as a humidifier, on the stove. The inside is pitted, but the paint came right off, and exposed a coating sort of like galvanized, but it's not. It shined up real easy with steel wool. It's a little rough, but overall, not too bad.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 05:43:41 PM »
And the gate marked bottom. I'm assuming this is one of the earlier ones, since it is a bottom gate. Or were they all bottom gate? The BB says 1880 to 1920. Not a bad find for $4.50

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
$4.50 that is a great price Chuck.  Nice work on the cleaning by the way!  Can we expect to see this one on that one auction site that I despise a little more everyday??