Author Topic: Crusty Magnalite Roaster  (Read 10896 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Crusty Magnalite Roaster
« on: September 05, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »
Just picked up a Wagner Magna-Lite Oval Roaster #4267 with lid, and trivet, at the flea market, which, by the way, I can't find in the books. The price was right, and couldn't pass it up. The issue I'm having is the layer of what looks to be mineral build up, maybe lime, on the inside of the roaster. It's probably 1/32" thick. Anyone have a clue how to get it off? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:48:16 PM by crogers561 »
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
Re: Crusty Magnalite Roaster
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
Hammer and chisel maybe?? :D

No just kidding. Jesse had some in that series that looked real nice. Dawn makes a "Power Disolver" that will take off most grease deposits, don't know if that would help or not. What kind of trivet did you get with the roaster? When I got my #4267 I got the stamped trivet with it and not the cast one....just wondering..
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:11:37 PM »
It's the cast trivet. Marked with the same # as the roaster, 4267 on the bottom, and M on the top. The trivet is in excellent condition, along with the lid. It's just the inside of the roaster itself is a mess.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:28:59 PM »
It's the cast trivet. Marked with the same # as the roaster, 4267 on the bottom, and M on the top. The trivet is in excellent condition, along with the lid. It's just the inside of the roaster itself is a mess.

Thanks, I was just wondering. I'm guess I'm preachin' to the choir but I think they made 4 different sizes in that style.
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
I did find the # in the p/n list in the back of the Wagner section. Turns out they made 3, 5, 7, and 9. This one would be the #7

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »
The issue I'm having is the layer of what looks to be mineral build up, maybe lime, on the inside of the roaster. It's probably 1/32" thick. Anyone have a clue how to get it off? Thanks in advance.
Chuck.....if its lime from water I suppose CLR or boiling equal parts of Vinegar and Water might remove it.  

If its aluminum oxidation, I've heard Motorcycle stores have some good stuff to clean aluminum.  I dont know if thats true, but it sounds reasonable to check on.
Jerry

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 10:32:26 PM »
Some of it has kinda flaked off. Not from anything I did though. I tried a tartar, and water mix, and boiled it. I think that was the wrong way to go. I think I needed to be at the other end of the PH scale. I was soaking my aluminum heart star paddles in it though. It's not doing much for the dark spots on the WI paddles. I guess I'll just try to polish them. I'll try the vinegar and water boil, and see what happens. Thanks Jerry, and keep the the ideas coming folks.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »
Chuck, do this, just get you some 0000 or whatever 0 it is of steel wool, I think its four 0, its finer that frog hair, and just act like your polishing it with it. I'm tired of hearing you whine about it, now go get some and make it look purdy.  ;D

And I have some of them, the little baby one is called a roasterette, its cuter than a speckled pup under a new red wagon, and then there is the 5, and then the 7, and then the big 9. Chuck, are we calling the roasterette the number 3?  :-/

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »
I havent seen a #3 yet. This one here is the #7 according to the RB. The crust is just a little too thick for 0000, 0r any other 0 for that matter. I did get some of it to blister off, but I think that's just from the heat. From what I understand, the vinegar will turn it black, and then the tartar with brighten it back up. If I'm wrong, correct me.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 11:51:30 PM »
Chuck, if its that bad, why don't you just put it in the self cleaning oven and run it through there, you could load up your oven with iron. You probably have never done that, have you? I have done pieces that way, it they got a lot of crud on them, they sure do stink. So I don't do it. I use lye and electro, and then dawn and cold water, cold rinse, heat in oven, put mineral oil on, good to go. UNLESS, I am going to season it for use.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »
If it's mineral deposits from water, do you think the SC oven will take it off? I know it works on food crud. I did my aluminum HS WI in it. It worked great.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »
If it's mineral deposits from water, do you think the SC oven will take it off? I know it works on food crud. I did my aluminum HS WI in it. It worked great.

The oven sure wouldn't hurt anything.  It might expand the aluminum enough to get the crust to flake off.  Or at least get most of it off.

A different method, if you have the tools, is to use walnut shells in a sand blasting outfit.  They work well and don't hurt the aluminum (but it's really a dusty mess when you do it).  I've also seen that Harbor Freight now had a baking soda blasting outfit for $99.  That would be pretty gentle also.

Tom

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:35:14 AM »
Give the Dawn Power Dissolver a try. Worked here! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »
I have been told that DIP-IT® Automatic Drip Coffeemaker Cleaner will disolve the lime and calcium deposits. I haven't tried it personally  YET  but will next time I need to clean that type of thing. Again I have not tried it and do not know if its OK for aluminum but it sure works great on coffee  pots and all there inner workings that I believe ARE aluminum

DIP-IT Perculator Cleaner
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:28:34 PM by jessman »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »
DPD didn't do the trick, and the DIP-IT, well, I don't want to experiment with this piece. Gets me a little nervous. I'll try the SC oven, and see what happens. When I did the tartar, some of it flaked off, but I think it was from the heat, so the oven just may do the rest. I'll let you know. Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »
I tried CLR one time.  It didn't hurt the aluminum but it didn't do anything either.

I wonder if Coke might take it off?  I'm pretty sure it will free up stuck pistons in antique engines.

Tom

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
Coke, as in Coca-Cola? I'm not sure. There is plenty of acid in it. We don't have a drop in the house though. Not big soda drinkers here.

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I wonder if Coke might take it off?  I'm pretty sure it will free up stuck pistons in antique engines.
It will.  I saw my Dad do exactly that years ago.  Yes Chuck... coke as in Coca Cola.  Can you imagine what that does to your tummy? :P
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 12:50:02 AM »
Hey Sandy, do you heat it up, or just soak it. I can give it a shot, before I do the SC oven.

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 01:17:47 AM »
Chuck, When I said it will I was referring to Coca Cola doing a number on a stuck piston.  Dad just poured coke on it, let it sit for a couple minutes and started working it loose.  Of course he flushed everything with water once he had freed the piston.

Like Tom, I wonder if it wouldn't remove the mineral deposits on your roaster.  Coke is highly acidic.  I wouldn't leave it on there for a real long time.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python