Author Topic: New seasoning methods; why????  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Ray Emerson

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
New seasoning methods; why????
« on: October 26, 2009, 05:50:37 PM »
Why does everyone look for new seasoning methods?  I see no real reason.  When seasoning with lard or Crisco has given us "Erie" skillets (to me they're frying pans) that have lasted from 144 to 100 years and still look practically brand new, how or why would you hope for more?  Griswolds, although younger in age, have weathered the years in the same condition, and I can guarantee you they weren't sprayed with PAM or whatever the latest craze is.  It wasn't invented back then!!

Seasoning seals cast iron; it doesn't add a lot of grease to the food cooked in the pan.  Because of that, you don't have to worry about cooking unhealthily, just because the original seal was does with animal fat.

I am not criticizing; I am wondering.  I just don't understand why the old "tried and true" methods that have stood well the long test of time aren't good enough for this modern age.

Ray
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:51:06 PM by Harold_Ray »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: New seasoning methods; why????
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
I think it's more the finish you get from Pam. Black as night, and shiny. From a collectors stand point, I believe the appearence is what matters. Not all C I has survived that well, and pam at least leaves it looking better. I've used crisco before, and the finish just isn't the same. I know there are some on here that use mineral oil, if they only plan on displaying the piece, but if the situation arose that I would need to use a certain piece from my display, I would have to scrub it down, or electro it , and season it in order to use it. I assume that any if not all of the piees I sell, are going to be used, so I season them with the best method I know for a piece that's going to be used. Just my opinion.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »
Ray,
   I don't have a favorite method. My users have been seasoned with lard, Crisco, bacon drippings,and Pam. They all seem to work fine.
   The people who prefer Pam have usually tried more than one method before deciding which they like best. Have you ever tried using Pam for yourself?
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47:14 AM »
Tried them all many different times. I use Pam for my waffle irons because it can be sprayed into all those tiny places then wiped out with a paint brush. Like Chuck says it gives a nice black and shiny finish first try. But...........For my cooking pans I have went back to crisco and thats more unforgiving in the amount you leave on. I feel its a bit harder for those just learning to do right. But I have had food pull off Pam seasoning but never Crisco. Thats just my limited experance. Others have had no Problem with the Pam I believe.

Offline Tom Penkava

• WAGS member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:42 PM »
I am with Jesse on this.  All my pieces are seasoned with crisco ( some as much as 12 coats ) for a harder/more durable finish that stands up to any harsh cooking enviroment they get used in.  But, I then do use pam as a final spray/wipe down after cleaning before puting them away untill the next time.  Before using the spray, I used to use butter as a final wipe down.  What ever is used, the final wipe down should leave the pan with a deep shinny surface and no excess/wet residue.  I hate to grab a pan to cook with and have the last oil wipe down all over my hands!!
By the way, I just returned from a winter mountain camping trip with my kid brother.( he's 61 while I am older at 62 )  He is always saying that if you can't see your self in a skillet, it isn't seasoned right.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »
Tom, I like what your kid brother says about if you can't see yourself in it, it ain't right. Not to try to top your story, but I say if you can't see yourself good enough to shave, it ain't done right, and to be honest with you, I have several like that, but I got several that ain't like that too, but as long as they are nice and black and shiny and not rusty, that suits me if I ain't cookin with'em.

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 05:19:47 AM »
Tried the PAM on a c/o and it flaked off in places. Back to the Crisco since... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Thomas Oen

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:34:34 AM »
I just acquired a # 14 SAD iron that has been sand blasted. What should I use on it to "seal" or season it? Thank you. Tom Oen

Offline Gerald Melsheimer

• WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
I tried the new Pam method and was not totally satisfied with the outcome.  I went back to the Crisco but the last step in my process was to spray with Pam and let cool in the turned off oven.  Nice shiney and black finish.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
I just acquired a # 14 SAD iron that has been sand blasted. What should I use on it to "seal" or season it? Thank you. Tom Oen

You could use mineral oil to keep it from rusting.
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.