Author Topic: New Electro Tank  (Read 11232 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
New Electro Tank
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:01:27 AM »
Just picked this one up a couple of days ago while I was at the salvage yard for some SS sheet for my other tanks. I figured I'd give it a try. It's only 18" deep, but it's 30" in diameter. The walls of the tank are almost 1/8" thick, so it should last quite some time. I should have it cleaned out, and filled by tomorrow. For size comparison, that's a 55 gallon drum sitting in it. I have my other 55 gallon electro back up and running. This one will be good foe WI's, and other smaller skillets. I figure I can line the inside with about 8 paddles, or 6 paddles, and 3 bases. Something like that.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: New Electro Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:03:04 AM »
The rust on the inside is from whatever steel was rubbing on the inside. That rust isn't from the tank.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:19:54 AM »
 :o :o That is a pretty good sized tank you got there Chuck!!  I have been on the lookout for a SS barrel but my setup is working just fine right now.

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
  • WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:43:42 AM »
Thats a neat barrel, Chuck it should last a long time.

I need to keep a check on the salvage yards around me...you never know what you can find there, especially in the cast iron bins.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:57:22 AM »
Thats a neat barrel, Chuck it should last a long time.

I need to keep a check on the salvage yards around me...you never know what you can find there, especially in the cast iron bins.

I know what you mean Rick. I have been to this place before, and picked up some CI pieces that were really nice after cleaning. I was poking around this time, but no luck. He did have stacks, and stacks of skillets that Deb and I went through the last time we were there, and grabbed anything that looked worth it, but either someone grabbed up the rest, or he sent them off to the processor since then. I'll always look when I go back though.

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 08:50:28 AM »
Man that's a heavy chunk of SS you got there! Should work great. If you don't mind - I was wondering what there price was on something like that? I know the yard you're talking about. If you'd rather keep it private give me a PM? Just curious for reference. What does he usually hit you up for sheet SS?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:52:50 AM by rbenash »
Ray

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
  • WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
Ray for a reference, I got a heavy crumpled up stainless steel sheet, that once pounded out, nearly lined the inside of a 55 gallon barrel. Not sure what grade it is, but it had numbers on it. It needed about three inches to completely covering the inside of the barrel. If I could have straighten it out completely, I believe it would have covered the entire barrel. I paid $11.00 for it.

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »
Thanks Rick. Wondering what folks were paying for their SS material.
Ray

Charles_A._Burger

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 11:17:31 PM »
I got a heavy crumpled up stainless steel sheet, that once pounded out, nearly lined the inside of a 55 gallon barrel.  

Where did you get that and how should I try and find something comparable?

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 12:57:22 AM »
I got a heavy crumpled up stainless steel sheet, that once pounded out, nearly lined the inside of a 55 gallon barrel.  

Where did you get that and how should I try and find something comparable?

Try your local scrap yard / recycling yard. They will have it all seperated, but take a magnet with you just in case. It's always good to check. A magnet will not stick to good stainless. If you know someone who likes to collect aluminum cans, ans take them in for money, ask them where they go. Your sure to find stainless there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:57:57 AM by crogers561 »

Charles_A._Burger

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »
Will they just sell it to you at the price per pound for that day?

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
Charles, they charge me a per pound price when I buy SS.  Not sure that it is the market price for that day or just a marked up price for what they gave for it.  Last I bought was last summer and it was $1 per pound.  The scrap market is down now from what it was then so not sure if the price I could buy it for now is less or not, I still have a couple of sheets left.  Mike
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:27:49 PM by mlbohan »

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
Just finished cleaning my electro barrel.  I was almost afraid to look at it after what happened to the SS iin Chuck's barrels, but I must have some pretty good stuff in it for it still looks very good and shouldn't need replacing for a couple more years. I still feel the amount of amps you use relates directly to how long your SS lasts.
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 04:24:02 PM »
I with you on the amps Sam. I usually run around 20 amps. I think the quality of the SS I've been getting is poor at best. I know a magnet will stick to the real cheap stuff, but not the stuff that I'm using. I'm hoping the new liner I put in the 55 gallon drum lasts a bit longer. The scrap yard said that they have no way of grading the ss. They just give the same price per pound.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »
If my washing machine drums ever give out I am going to find some restaurant quality NSF rated stuff.  I would have to assume that it would be pretty high grade and would have to be tested for contaminants??

For anyone that is interested the washing machine drums that I used fit perfectly into a 55 gallon drum.  I don't know if all those little holes will make it decompose faster but time will tell.  I cleaned it out once and it looked as good as the day I put it in there.

whippy

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
That looks like a great drum!  I recently started doing electro and setup my first tank using a galvanized trash can.  I cleaned about 6 pieces with a 6 amp charger and the can was trashed.  So, I'm looking for something for the next setup.  

I know a guy who makes smokers out of 55 gal SS drums and he said he'd sell me a drum for $75.  That seems like too much to me.  I don't know the grade on them but I don't think they're very heavy.  They're not smooth like the one pictured here they have the rings like your standard metal drum.

I haven't checked the local scrap yards yet.  I'm thinking I could get something that will work just as good for a lot less.  What do you guys think?

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 09:52:02 PM »
Davis you should check the thickness of the drum he is going to sell you.  If it is a relatively thick drum $75 is not a bad deal at all.  It would eliminate the need of rolling the metal to fit into a drum.  I would still use a drum in case of a leak in the SS.

whippy

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I'll ask the guy about the thickness.  His primary business is metal fabrication so he should know. One other electro question...

I have this setup out at a farm (I don't think my condo association would like it on my balcony :)) and the well water there is horrible.  Lots of iron, tannins & other stuff in the water.  Do you think using that water is a problem for any reason?

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »
I agree with Jeff. Thickness, and grade will make the difference. Of course grading is tough since you don't know the maker. I took a chance on this drum. Prices are up and down daily around here, and the day I bought this one, SS was at $1.30 / lb . Again, as Jeff mentioned, a lined 55 gal plastic drum will rule out a leakage problem. Let us know how you do if you go to the scrap yard.