Author Topic: New Electro Tank  (Read 11233 times)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

Re: New Electro Tank
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 12:00:35 AM »
Davis, no, that water won't make any difference, go for it. And Davis, just some friendly advice.  :)

Don't overthink it, keep it simple. An electro set up does one of two things, it works, OR, it don't work. Its that simple. As you go along, you'll find little ways to make it work better. Some more advice, get what SS you can, use it, it will work. If it don't work so good, get better SS the next time. It will all work, its just that some works longer, not better, than other grades of SS. Good luck to you.

Offline Ray Emerson

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
washing machine drums that I used fit perfectly into a 55 gallon drum

Jeff,

Where are you getting washing machine drums?  I didn't realize (really hadn't thought about it) they were stainless steel!

Ray

whippy

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »
I would call around to some of the used appliance places.  They get a lot of them that aren't worth fixing and scrap them. You may not get one for free though!

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
Davis is right on the money with appliance stores!  I have a good friend who owns an appliance store and I got mine from him.  I would assume you could go to an appliance junk yard as well.  One of those two places should be able to hook you up.

I used two of them.  I had to cut various piece from both of them but they worked like a charm.

whippy

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 04:55:45 PM »
I checked with one local used appliance guy and he didn't have any at the moment.  So I went back to the metal shop with the SS drums I mentioned before.  It is fairly thick (not flimsy anyways) and it did pass the magnet test   So here he is already hard at work...

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »
Hello Davis. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but, if it was me, here is what I'd do. That barrel is SS and it is not as thick as some SS, which you probably already know. And eventually, it will eat through, probably when you least expect it, and make a great big mess for you to clean up. So, if you can find a barrel that that will fit down into, that would be good, because when it does start leaking it won't matter, just keep right on using it. But if you can't find one that big around and tall enough, then get you a shorter one, say one thats about 18 inches or 2 feet in height, but that you barrel still fits down into. That way if it does leak, you got a good amount of time to do something about it.  :)

whippy

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
Perry, thanks for the advice and feel free to tell me what to do any time.  I'll take all the advice I can get.  

I had some stuff I wanted to get in it so I set this up pretty quick.  I've got some improvements planned so I'll probably be reworking it pretty soon and I'll see if I can find something the drum will sit in.  This is just a pole barn we park tractors under so I'm not concerned about leakage but it would be nice to keep using it after it starts leaking.  I'm hoping that won't be too soon.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
Davis I am by no means an expert at this whole electro thing but I have never seen bubbles like that with my setup  :o  How many amps are you pulling with your charger??

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 09:08:02 PM »
Jeff....remember his is a brand new set up  (notice the nice white bubbles).  I get bubbles like that in mine, except they are a light brown color... ;D  I've got a Craftsman charger about like the one Davis has.  I usually run mine on the 40 amp setting, but the amount of amps drawn varies.  It usually runs 20 to 30 amps.

Hey Davis......I'm a big fan of all thread too!!!  What do you have on the end of yours to attach your iron to???  I had someone weld (wish I knew how to weld) a rod coupling to the adjustment knob of some vise grips, then I just screw the all thread into the rod coupling.  I'll post a picture of my rod set up.  To save from having to run the 3/8" nut up and down the all thread, I found that a 3/8" split nut, or slip on lock nut, saves a lot of time and makes adjustments simple.  I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

It's all lookin good.

Scott

PS.....Oh, by the way, does it freeze in your pole barn in the winter??  If so, I've got another idea for you.  
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »
Scott I didn't even see bubbles like that when mine was new??  I would guess it might be something with the water in different locals??  I have no idea but my bubbles dissipate very quickly but I run mine at 20 amps or less.

Offline Ray Emerson

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 09:30:41 PM »
might be something with the water in different [size=22]locals[/size]??

Hey, Jeff, aren't you a Ph. D candidate?  Gotta keep a close watch on you guys and keep you on the ball!!!  Water variation can easily be local, but I'm certain water varies in differing locales.

Ray  ::)

P.S.

De Devil made me do it; De Devil made me do it
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:32:55 PM by Harold_Ray »

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 09:30:53 PM »
It could also have something to do with the amount of stuff and what type of stuff he added to the water.....washing soda or ph+ / gallon.  I think somewhere on here someone talked about figuring out the right ph number for optimum operation, but it was a little more than what I cared to do.  I figured if it is working, it's OK, if not try something different.  I don't think my amperage is adjustable other than adding more iron, or moving the iron closer to the sides, or adding more washing soda or water....trial and error...... ;) ;)

Scott
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »
Hay know Rae if Wurd does nt katch mi mysteaks than they ain't mysteaks.   ;D ;D

P.S. I got a degree in Forest Ecosystem Management not English  :D

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 11:35:30 PM »
Hay know Rae if Wurd does nt katch mi mysteaks than they ain't mysteaks.   ;D ;D

P.S. I got a degree in Forest Ecosystem Management not English  :D

TREEZ ;) ;D

whippy

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
I'm using the arm & hammer laundry detergent so maybe that foams a little more?  Also, as I mentioned this well water has a lot of iron in it so maybe all those little particles contribute to the foam.  I've run three different setups and they all foam like that regardless of the amps.  That's one of the reasons I was concerned about using this water.  I'm also wondering if it is decreasing the life span of my drum???

Scott, yes I totally stole the threaded rod & vise grip idea from you. I don't remember which one but you had pictures of your setup in another thread.  Mine is certainly not as technologically advanced as yours (I'm working on it).  I simply removed the bolt from the vise grips and a 7/16" threaded rod screws right down into them.  You adjust the grip by spinning the vise around on the rod.  This is the first time I used it and I was a little concerned about the teeth on the vise.  I believe they make vise grips with a flat pincher part so I'll look for those.  I'm working on something like your setup for hanging multiple pieces.  I'll post a picture if I get it done.

I'm in Florida so I'm not too concerned about the tank freezing.  Although after this year the citrus growers around here would probably disagree.   :'(

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
Hi Davis............
After using my system for a while, I have found some things that work and some that don't work as well.  Regarding your concern about the teeth on the vise grips...I have found that it works better if you use a small iron c-clamp on the piece to be cleaned and then clamp the vise grip to the c-clamp body.  That also lets you position your iron at just the right angle to get the best exposure.  I also feel better using just the right pressure with the c-clamp and not the rather tight pressure from the vise grips....a little less worry about maybe breaking your cast iron.  I also move the c-clamp a couple of times during the cleaning so that the spot under the clamp gets exposed too.  Also, those split nuts are the cats meow.  I don't know if they make them for 7/16" rod.....I use 3/8".  I suppose you could use a 7/16" to 3/8" rod coupling if you can't find the 7/16" split nuts.  Short piece of 7/16" rod in the vise grips, adapter coupling, 3/8" rod to hang with, then the split nuts to adjust the depth of your iron.  Play with it a bit and show us what you come up with.  

I know some people do multiple items in their tanks at the same time, but I usually just do one.  I've tried 2 or three at a time, but my ampreage jumped way up and even tripped the charger overload.  Had to wait for it to cool down.  Maybe if I used a weaker solution it might work with mutiple pieces.  Also with multiple pieces, the iron is spread out a little and winds up closer to the sides of the SS barrel......too many factors, so I just stick to one piece.  Anyone out there that does multiple pieces, tell us your tricks and maybe show us some pictures.....Also, how does "the line of sight" thing work for you???  

You also said you are using Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent.......is that correct???  You should be using Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda....not detergent.  You need the sodium carbonate (soda) to form the electrolyte.  PH+ for swimming pools does the same thing.  That might be why you are getting a lot of foaming, although like I said before, I get the same foaming with the washing soda.  Who knows, might be a solution strength / amperage thing too???

OK......this is long enough for now....I'll try to get some pictures of the split nuts for you.

Scott

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:09:31 PM by sandles2 »

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
What Scott said about the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda.  It looks like this:
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 03:21:16 PM »
 :) :)...Thanks Sandy, I guess I didn't have a picture like that in my file.  Maybe I'll capture yours for future use... :) :)

Scott

whippy

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »
Hey Scott,
Thanks for info!  I would definitely like to get the split nut thing working.  I'm not familiar with it but will ask at the hardware store and/or wait for a picture.  I don't have the arm & hammer product handy but I think I'm using the right stuff.  I know it has sodium carbonate because I remember looking for that on the box.  Anyways, I've used it to clean several pieces of iron and it seems to work.  I'll make sure though.  Thanks for posting the pic Sandy.

I have not tried cooking multiple items I just assumed it would work.  Of course you know what they say about assumptions!  It just seems unproductive to have one little piece in that big drum.  Would having the piece close to the side of the SS drum be a problem?  I thought having it closer is better??  I can see not wanting to have pieces in the same spot over and over as it would probably eat up that part of the drum quicker.  I actually rigged up a small insert donor piece out of some SS I pulled from an old bbq grill.  I clamp it to the barrel and it protrudes from the side so that the skillet/do/whatever can be set to cup around it.  I was having trouble getting some of the real tuff stuff off the inside of some pieces so I thought this would help.  Only tried it once but it seemed to work better.  I'll take a picture of it next time I'm out there.

Thanks a bunch for all the help folks!

Offline Ray Emerson

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
I would definitely like to get the split nut thing working.  I'm not familiar with it but will ask at the hardware store and/or wait for a picture.

Scott,

If you've got a picture of this, the split nut thing, I would like to see it, too.  I don't understand.

Ray