Author Topic: Seasoning a waffle iron w/ spring handles?  (Read 8652 times)

Scott_Stone

Seasoning a waffle iron w/ spring handles?
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:03:52 AM »
I plan on tackling my Griswold No. 11 high base waffle iron with the spring? paddle handles as soon as the electro tank finishes with the old unmarked 12" (Lodge?) skillet I'm working on.

I'm trying to figure out how I should season the waffle iron once it's clean, since I fear putting it in a hot oven for a few hours would pull the temper out of the spring handles if that's what they are, am I off base here?

I saw someone mention the stove top as the best way to season a waffle iron, but what about the handles? I thought about not bothering with the handles since I'm obviously not so concerned about food sticking to them, but doesn't seasoning also help protect the otherwise bare metal?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

http://imgur.com/aM5gR.jpg

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
Re: Seasoning a waffle iron w/ spring handles?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
Once you get the spring handles cleaned,  I see no sense in trying to season them, just put a thin coat of Crisco, Pan, whatever on and wipe them down good.
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Scott_Stone

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:38:50 AM »
Thanks, Sam. That does seem the most sensible course, I just wanted to hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about.

I'll be sure to junk up the boards with lots of pictures once I start on the waffle iron.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:40:32 AM by Scott_Stone »

Offline Bryce King

• We love our "Poppy" He buys us Cast Iron
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »
This is a question from a real newcomer to CI use and maybe collecting.  I was wondering if Scott is going to season the waffle iron how does he go about it without getting the spring handle too hot?  Does the handle come off the waffle iron?

Thanks for answering the newbie question.
Have a great day!
Bryce

"Morality is temporary, wisdom is permanent." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »
Just happened to have a pic
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »
I season my "alaska" (spring) handles, the same way I season the paddles. I do remove them though, and set them by themselves in the same oven. I think it takes more heat than most ovens can produce, to take the temper out of them. I've not noticed any difference with them at all.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Bryce King

• We love our "Poppy" He buys us Cast Iron
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »

Thank you Sam for the brief but to the point explanation.  I can figure out the rest myself.  
Have a great day!
Bryce

"Morality is temporary, wisdom is permanent." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »
I season my "alaska" (spring) handles, the same way I season the paddles. I do remove them though, and set them by themselves in the same oven. I think it takes more heat than most ovens can produce, to take the temper out of them. I've not noticed any difference with them at all.

Chuck, what you say here about ovens not producing enough temperature to take the temper out of handles, I SUSPECT, but don't know for sure, that the same can be said for bale handles, like on dutch ovens and griddles.

I know Steve Stephens always said they would take the temper out, but it seems to me that this is not true because the metal went through a lot hotter process than a stove oven can produce, so it seemed to me that the stove would not hurt the bail handles, but I don't know for sure. Thats just my thinkin.

Does anybody know for sure if this will take the temper out of the bail handles? By that, I mean, did it ever happen to you?  :-/

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
I know that it's never happened in my case. Either on a DO, a WI base, Or WI handles. I know the oven will take the temper right out of those wooden WI handles though. They seem to lose all of their strength after that.  ;D ;D

You are correct though Perry. They have been through alot hotter situations than the oven can produce. I know it would be a bad idea to run them through a self cleaning oven cycle. Maybe that's what Steve Stephens was talking about.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:30:31 PM by crogers561 »
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:49:04 PM »
I know it would be a bad idea to run them through a self cleaning oven cycle. Maybe that's what Steve Stephens was talking about.

Thats exactly what I am talking about Chuck. Has anybody ever done that?

Scott_Stone

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »

Wow, was that the only style of spring handles used on the Griswold WIs? I've been trying to find pictures of irons like mine but haven't had a ton of luck, could these handles be replacements? Mine look as though they were welded or soldered onto the paddles, instead of screwed on?

As a matter of fact, the handle shown here seems to have been plated (nickel, chrome?) at one point?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:04:04 PM by Scott_Stone »

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
Scott, I think there is at LEAST four different kinds of handles on the griswold waffle irons.

Scott_Stone

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »
Perry,

That makes me feel better. If it turns out these were a repair job, while I'd definitely prefer 'original' for aesthetic reasons, these look fine and (to me) don't seem totally out of place.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
Perry,

That makes me feel better. If it turns out these were a repair job, while I'd definitely prefer 'original' for aesthetic reasons, these look fine and (to me) don't seem totally out of place.

Scott, those handles look fine and original to me. Here while back, we had an article in our Newsletter, with pictures about this very subject, the different kind of handles on Griswold Waffle Irons.

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »
Scott, the Griswold style of handles you have shown in your pictures are often a real problem to remove.  Some I've not been able to remove without fear of damage. As far as the shiny coating on waffle iron handles I believe many were a tin coating and the tin will melt, if any is still on the coils, somewhere between 350* and 450* in my experience.  Now some were what I think was a chrome plating and it will not melt the coating but may turn a little blue at higher seasoning temps.  As far as removing the temper of the base metal I'm not sure at what temp that might happen. I've not had a problem at normal seasoning temps.  If the plating is missing I just season the same as the rest of the waffle iron. Mike
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:50:21 PM by mlbohan »

Scott_Stone

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »
Scott, those handles look fine and original to me. Here while back, we had an article in our Newsletter, with pictures about this very subject, the different kind of handles on Griswold Waffle Irons.

Whew, I was actually getting a little concerned there for a while, thanks for the heads up.

Scott, the Griswold style of handles you have shown in your pictures are often a real problem to remove.  Some I've not been able to remove without fear of damage. As far as the shiny coating on waffle iron handles I believe many were a tin coating and the tin will melt, if any is still on the coils, somewhere between 350* and 450* in my experience.  Now some were what I think was a chrome plating and it will not melt the coating but may turn a little blue at higher seasoning temps.  As far as removing the temper of the base metal I'm not sure at what temp that might happen. I've not had a problem at normal seasoning temps.  If the plating is missing I just season the same as the rest of the waffle iron. Mike

Thanks, Mike

Yeah, I can't figure out how these handles would be removable without using a power tool. Thanks for the tip on seasoning, I'll be sure to be on the lookout for melted tin. I wouldn't mind a little bluing since the only plating left on these handles faces in when the paddles are closed.

Scott_Stone

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:32 AM »
I finally got around to the waffle iron, kind of. I had to pull the paddle out of the electro after about four hours since it had started to rain (Houston, eh?) but even so, I think the difference is pretty impressive.

Before 1

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:54:36 AM by Scott_Stone »

Scott_Stone

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:57 AM »
Before 2
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:55:06 AM by Scott_Stone »

Scott_Stone

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 07:55:07 AM »
after 1

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:55:30 AM by Scott_Stone »

Scott_Stone

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »
after 2

Still a long way to go to be sure, but it feels like completion is within reach.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to clean those tiny hollow spaces inside the handles? I've been trying to think of where I could get a brush small enough to fit...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:55:56 AM by Scott_Stone »