Author Topic: I was lucky, a reminder  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
  • WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
I was lucky, a reminder
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
I have read Perry's comments on here several times about the importance of wearing safety glasses when loading or unloading the lye barrel. Had one piece to put in, AND my glasses always lay beside the lye barrel. But, what the heck just one piece was all I needed in. I started putting the skillet in, the string broke and ka-plunk down it went, threw up a splash of lye...one drop hit me on the eye lid very close to my right eye. I guess I unknowing closed my eyes when I saw the splash coming. It don't take but a second to put the glasses on....I won't make that mistake again. Now, I need to buy a lottery ticket.

Darn it...please move it to the restoration forum...there is where I meant to post it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:51:21 PM by poppop »

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
Re: I was lucky, a reminder
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:35:28 PM »
Hey Rick.....glad there was no serious injury.  Thanks for the reminder again.....it is so easy to forget and say "well, OK, just this time".  Just a suggestion......instead of using string, I use soft iron tie wire.  I keep a roll of it next to my lye bath barrel.  It's realitively cheap and won't break on you......just throw it out if it gets too rusty.

Scott
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
Hello Rick. Glad the news was not bad. Yes, the eye protection is a must. If you're talking about putting pieces in the lye water, I just use my hands with a set of rubber gloves on.

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:29:50 PM »
Glad to hear you did not lose an eye Rick. Sounds like it was a close call tho.
 I, like Scott use tie wire. Tie it to the piece of iron and bend the other end over the edge of the barrel/tub. That way you do not have to fish around for the iron with your hand. Just grab the wire and pull it out.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
I'm with Perry on this one. I don't hang pieces in the Lye Bath. I just lay them in so there is no air trapped in it. Now if you're using the srting to retrieve the piece when it's done, that's another story. If you are, go with Scotts suggestion on the wire. Much safer than string.

I'm glad things didn't turn out bad RIck. Like you said, it only takes a second to put the glasses on.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses