Author Topic: Will's flea market finds.  (Read 14810 times)

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Will's flea market finds.
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:06:39 PM »
Well,  I got out to our local flea market today.   First one of the year.   If you needed any Wagner #3,5,6, or 8 skillets.  they were there.   Not badly priced too.   This is the 3 things I picked up.   A nice aluminum Wagner spoon.   A small Griswold trivet.   And that really is an aluminum Griswold H&S #100 pan.   But someone painted it with black paint.   Now to remove the paint without harming the aluminum.   Anyone have any ideas?   I was thinking of using this "safe" paint stripper I have and try it.   I used it to strip the floors at our house.   I got it on my hands and it never burned.   It is "3M safest stripper"

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=5KGN8BP4PQbe1B4G7J2TCHgl

Let me know if you have any ideas on what to use.

Thanks,

Will 8-)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:41:49 PM by Will_P. »

Offline C. Perry Rapier

Re: Will's flea market finds.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
Will, I don't know how to get the paint off of it wihout harming it, but I'll tell you one thing, ever who painted it, based on this picture, did one hall of a good job. I believe I'd almost be inclined to leave it that way.

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
Will,
  I can't claim to have any experience, but this seems like a perfect candidate for blasting with walnut hulls, plastic beads or baking powder....
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Anthony Richerson

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »
Put it in an old toaster oven, after you put it outside on the porch though. Shouldn't take much more than 400 to burn the paint off.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
Will you will have to read the label but I think I used CitriStrip to clean the one that I got that was painted.  I have some at home and can read the label.  They had special stripper for cleaning aluminum (I think it might be called Aircraft Stripper??).

speedy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:04:28 PM »
I have spoken with Eddie.
The product is Tergo Supersol, here is the local blurb   http://www.tergo.co.nz/Tech%20Data/HTML/carbon_remover.htm

Here is the MSDS. It states the component chemicals of the liquid.
http://www.cleanlink.co.nz/msds_sheets/SupersolmsdsP.PDF

Note: WARNING:  

Carbon Remover contains chemical compounds that are hazardous to breath and/or will cause severe skin burns.  Protective clothing and equipment such as plastic gloves, aprons, boots and goggles will be used as necessary for protection of using personnel.  Accidental splashes on skin or eyes must be immediately washed off with water.  

CORROSION:  

Non-corrosive to iron, steel, stainless steel, aluminium, magnesium, copper and most other metals when fresh and immersion times do not exceed 24 hours.  May cause corrosion of soft metals on prolonged immersion if bath is old and contaminated (ref: Maintenance) and/or immersion times are excessive.  Corrosive to paints, rubber and some plastics

If you cannot find this Tergo product then a search for " DI PHASE DEGREASING AND DECARBONISING FLUID " will possibly assist you.

I imagine the product, or similar, is available in your neck of the woods? Probably better to contact a local engine reconditioner and have them soak it in their bath. Just confirm that they treat ali items in their bath and any conditions that they may state.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:06:27 PM by speedy »

Offline Will Person

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:27:41 PM »
James,  that is true.   They do soak aluminum heads all the time and clean them.   Thanks for the idea!!!!

Will 8-)

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
Why not put it on a BBQ grill??

Offline Will Person

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:33:58 AM »
Why not put it on a BBQ grill??

I was thinking the same thing last night. ;)

Will 8-)

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:23:31 AM »
Hope they did not use VHT paint if you try heating it. I do not know the highest VHT paint, do remember seeing it up to1200 degrees.  Good luck.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »
Will, I don't know how to get the paint off of it without harming it, but I'll tell you one thing, ever who painted it, based on this picture, did one hall of a good job. I believe I'd almost be inclined to leave it that way.

Will, I'm kind of with Perry on this one.  It looks almost too good to be painted.  I've seen this coating/finish when aluminum is put in an ammonia solution - a nice even black.  It comes off easily in a Cream of Tartar solution.  Takes just a couple minutes if that is it.

To be honest, I haven't run across a good paint stripper you can buy for home use that I would bother with.

If you're thinking automotive, carburetor (you know, that thing cars used to have when you could still work on them at home  ;D) cleaner  would be just magical.  I'd clean it, wash it good in detergent, then pop it into the oven to drive off anything that might be left.

My old favorite would be a self-cleaning oven and just burn it off, followed by a quick cream of tartar bath to remove any other discoloration, then  finishing with 0000 steel wool.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:42:07 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »
Will, I had a # 1 aluminum skillet that was painted black. I took 0000 steel wool and about a half hour of elbow grease and it looked like the day it was made. Try it out on a small section of the backside edge and see if it works.
Harry

Offline Will Person

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »
Well,  Jenny won't let me put it in stove and burn it off.   So I took stripper that is "safe" that I listed earlier.   Didn't touch it.   Got out the nasty stuff that took the black off of the Griswold reflector stove in two minutes.    Left it on for 30 minutes.........Took off about 10% of the paint.   Didn't even bubble the black.   This is nasty paint!!!!   Time for more fun!!!!! :'(

Will 8-)

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
Try the CitriStrip and leave it in a plastic bag for a day.

Offline Will Person

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
Try the CitriStrip and leave it in a plastic bag for a day.

Will try anything!!!!

Will 8-)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 07:31:14 AM »
Will,

Just send it to me, I'll take care of it ;D
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Will Person

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »
Will,

Just send it to me, I'll take care of it ;D

Darn,  I lost your mailing address. ;)

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 09:01:40 AM »
Yeah, probably not, I was just throwing one out there.
Maybe it has been treated to a HD etch prime with top coat?

No primer under the black.   Anybody try to strip high temp black????  Is it tougher than regular black paint??

Will 8-)

Will, are you sure it is paint?  If someone tried to clean aluminum with Easy Off or anything with ammonia in it it could easily look like this.  Just 30 seconds in a warm cream of tartar solution would remove it - no scrubbing, no nothing.  Just don't leave it in more than 30 minutes or so.  A couple tablespoons in a gallon of water would work fine.  Nothing caustic, you can find it in the spice section of the grocery store.  It most commonly is used to help egg whites fluff up.

Tom

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
You will probably have to use Aircraft Paint Stripper.  It will remove about any kind of paint, but is nasty stuff.....methylene Chloride, etc.  

Will, being a John Deer man, have you ever tried to strip John Deer paint off metal parts?  If so, then you know its tough paint to remove, but Aircraft Stripper will take it off.

You can get Aircraft Stripper at Walmart, Lowes, etc.
Jerry

Offline Will Person

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »
After using Klean-Strip KS-3 Premium Stripper  (methylene Chloride) ,  this is what it looks like.   You can see where there was a price tag on it and the paint didn't stick well.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Cleaners-Thinners-Removers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zbobg/R-100144685/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Will :'(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:09:24 PM by Will_P. »