Author Topic: Will's flea market finds.  (Read 14811 times)

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: Will's flea market finds.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »
In the stove and going to 500.   Wish me luck!!!

Offline Will Person

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »
In the stove and going to 500.   Wish me luck!!!

Broil (600) and nothing!!!! :'(

Offline Blake Williams

• WAGS member
  • WAGS! The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »
Will, I have never tried it but from what I read online Lacquer Thinner is safe on aluminum.  It would remove the paint, just apply it to a cloth and wipe a spot and see.  I have never personally tried it so I am not sure.  I used to use something I got from a furniture restorer at antique shows, it was like a thick clear gook stuff that you just poured on and let it sit, it was so thick it wouldn't evaporate and just wash the paint off.  I have no idea what it was called, I will see if I can find an old can.  

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
Hey Will do you think that piece could be covered with Stove Black??

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »
Will, I don't know how to get the paint off of it without harming it, but I'll tell you one thing, ever who painted it, based on this picture, did one hall of a good job. I believe I'd almost be inclined to leave it that way.

Will, I'm kind of with Perry on this one.  It looks almost too good to be painted.  I've seen this coating/finish when aluminum is put in an ammonia solution - a nice even black.  It comes off easily in a Cream of Tartar solution.  Takes just a couple minutes if that is it.

To be honest, I haven't run across a good paint stripper you can buy for home use that I would bother with.

If you're thinking automotive, carburetor (you know, that thing cars used to have when you could still work on them at home  ;D) cleaner  would be just magical.  I'd clean it, wash it good in detergent, then pop it into the oven to drive off anything that might be left.

My old favorite would be a self-cleaning oven and just burn it off, followed by a quick cream of tartar bath to remove any other discoloration, then  finishing with 0000 steel wool.

Tom

I'm with the "looks so good leave it be" camp. It sure doesn't look like paint from here. Are there areas where it is chipped that tells you it's painted? Otherwise looks like it from some sort of treatment to the metal that has colored it. If it is paint, looks like it should come off in a dip in a can of carburetor cleaner. The do sell this in gallon cans with a basket you put your parts in to dip them. Pretty sure this wouldn't have any negative affect on aluminum, but experiment first.

Editing - since I didn't see the last post after you dipped, fillet, roasted and basted  ;D Sure does look like a surface coating and not metal treatment. I'd give it a dip over night in the carburetor cleaner after a trial.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:35:34 PM by rbenash »
Ray

Offline Will Person

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 08:57:38 PM »
Well,  it is now in a cream of tarter water mix that Tom posted about.   Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Will 8-)

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:37 PM »
If it works it will happen fast and look like magic.

Tom

Offline Will Person

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »
15 minutes and still looks the same. :'(

Did someone anodize this thing????

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »
Will, if you try that stripper again, use it like lye bath.  Put it in a container and cover it up and leave it.....let the stripper do the work.   If you dont cover it, and maybe you did, the Methylene Chloride will evaporate fast.  Thats the main ingredient that does the work.  As it evaporates, the stripper wont do the job on some paints or finishes.  On tough furniture finishes, I lather up the wood then cover it with plastic to keep the MC from evaporating so it could do its work and soften the finish I was trying to remove.
Jerry

Offline Will Person

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 09:28:29 PM »
Well,  been in for 30 minutes and used a scrubby on it and it is getting cleaner,  but nothing fast.

Reading online states that oven cleaner will remove anodizing,  but I already did that ONE time to aluminum and it stained it.  So now what?   :-/

Will 8-)

Offline Will Person

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »
Well,  getting there!!!!   Get this repro looking better it might pass for real. ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:41:38 PM by Will_P. »

Offline Will Person

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 09:38:40 PM »
Inside don't clean real well!!!!   Wet in a few spots.   Drying it off the rag turned a little black.   So it is still coming off.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:39:40 PM by Will_P. »

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »
Now Will I am only going to post this brand one more time!!!!

http://www.google.com/products?q=citristrip&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=bkHzS5fsCZTANau1kbUO&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDcQrQQwAg

This stuff is the best thing at taking off the Japaned finish on pieces that wont come off in the eletro or lye bath.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:00:48 PM by lillyc »

Offline Will Person

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »
I will have to get some.   Thanks Jeff.   This has not been fun.   But the price was right!!!! ;)

Will 8-)

Offline Will Person

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »
Well,  it just soaked for 45 minutes in oven cleaner.   Nothing happened.   Will get Citristrip that Jeff posted.   Will let you know how it works.

Will 8-)

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 11:32:04 PM »
Will, if you still have the cream of tartar, bring it up to a simmer and put it in for 30 minutes or so.  I had forgot that I usually use it at just about a boil.  If it is working more it should have some fine bubbles coming off.  You could throw an extra tablespoon in too.  If I read your earlier not right, it did take some of it off the bottom.

Tom

Offline Will Person

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 11:55:11 PM »
Tom,  it took about 80% off of the bottom with scrubbing.   I will do that tomorrow night.   I will almost boil it with the cream of tater.   It seemed to work,  but didn't want to leave it in too long.   What a fine mess!!!

Will 8-)

Offline Will Person

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 06:06:33 PM »
Well,  after 30 minutes in,  no change.   What is this black junk????    Well,   I will be getting some of the stuff Jeff posted about and see how that works.

Will :'(

Offline Will Person

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2010, 08:59:13 PM »
Well,  24 hours soaking in citristrip netted me nothing too much.   What is this black junk??

Will
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:46:25 PM by lillyc »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2010, 09:04:29 PM »
It may be epoxy powder coat. I used to work in the metal finishing department where I work now, and we used to paint our own stuff while we ran production. I once painted something with Epoxy powder coat (Not cast iron) and it didn't turn out to well. I had to have it sandblasted, and the guy doing the sandblasting said that it was the toughest paint that he ever had to remove. OUr regular powder coat would blast off easily, but that epoxy was some rock hard stuff
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses