Author Topic: Will's flea market finds.  (Read 14809 times)

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: Will's flea market finds.
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
Looking at buying a "hobby sand blaster"   Comes with "aluminum oxide abrasive"   Probably should not use?????   Heard of baking soda or baking powder???  Which one???   Oh the joys!!!   Thanks for the help guys.   Glad I can be the guinea pig on this so others can learn.

http://www.chippingaway.com/WoodCarving/AirBrushSystems/BadgerMiniSandblaster.htm

Will :'(

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2010, 09:35:15 PM »
Will I don't think that walnut shells will harm even aluminum and I know they will not harm cast iron.  I would start there and then try baking soda or powder??

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
Will, Harbor Freight has had a small soda blaster on sale recently.  I've been tempted but haven't bought one.  The price is $89.00 in their stores here.  There are lots of 20% off coupons that can be used in addition to the sale price.  The easiest place to find one is in the back of some of the recent Popular Science magazines.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-portable-soda-blaster-66742.html

Have you tried the hot Cream of Tartar solution?  It was my mistake in not telling you to heat it up originally.  You could even try a paste and rubbing.  Just be sure to wash it all off.  Probably wouldn't hurt to hit it with a little baking soda when done to make sure the very mild acid is neutralized.  The coating in my mind is like a rust - maybe one of our chemists can tell me more specific.  I believe it is created by a reaction between the aluminum oxide on the surface of the aluminum and a strong base like lye or ammonia.

One byproduct of all your work so far is to really let you know how tough aluminum is overall.

Tom

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:08:36 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
So what do y'all think of the Soda Blaster? I've been doing some reading on them and I really feel they would not damage either CI or Alum. I watched a U-Tube video where he was using soda to blast the paint from a Corvette and as far as I could tell no damage to the fiberglass on the Vette. Also watched a demo where they stripped the paint from a Coke can. You also don't need any special booths for the soda is a one-use thing because everything just washes down after your work. (I've got a big back yard), I think I will do a little calling around tomorrow and see if any of the Paint and Body shops around here has one and if they do, take down a piece of CI and see what it looks like after they get done. I wouldn't use it on SK's, DO's etc but I have at least 6 stoves out there, which, if it works, it would just about pay for itself in a savings of time and labor. About the only thing I would worry about around here is being able to buy the bags of soda, for it's expensive for UPS to ship a 50# bag.

Let me know what you think....Thanks, Sam
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
Well,  24 hours soaking in citristrip netted me nothing too much.   What is this black junk??

Will
Will, when all else fails, I'd still try some Aircraft Finish Remover.  It's about as tough a stripper you can use, and is for Aluminum.  There are many brands.  Its usually a lot more expensive than regular strippers, but worth a try, IMO.  

I bought my regular strippers and Aircraft Stripper at times from Benco Sales, Crossville, TN.  Their B17 is a powder coating stripper. They have an extensive menu of strippers.  They can be very helpful on what your trying to strip.  I'd give them a call.  Talk to Bennie if he is there.

http://www.bencosales.com/store/

Here is another:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/topPaintStripper.php

Here is one that claims to be eco friendly for Aluminum but I have never tried it.

http://www.mileschemicalsolutions.com/How_to_remove_powder_coating.html

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:04:53 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Offline Will Person

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 08:42:37 PM »
You know what is funny,  I can scrap it off with my knife.   But a stiff brush won't take it off????

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 09:27:51 PM »
Will, Did you try using fine 000 or 0000 steel wool?
Harry

Offline Will Person

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »
No,  not yet.   Guess I have to get some. ::)

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 09:53:12 PM »
Those little devils are a pain to get all shined up with 0000 steel wool but it works better than just about anything that I have tried.  I will scrub the pieces while they are dry because it scratches a little deeper.  Then when I want to shine the piece up I will use water and Dawn dish soap and it works wonderfully!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 10:10:46 PM »
Those little devils are a pain to get all shined up with 0000 steel wool but it works better than just about anything that I have tried.  I will scrub the pieces while they are dry because it scratches a little deeper.  Then when I want to shine the piece up I will use water and Dawn dish soap and it works wonderfully!

Jeff, do you mean when you want to shine the piece up you use 0000 steel wool, and Dawn dish soap and water? Is that what you mean?  :)

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »
I think you got that right Perry but I will give you the step by step to make sure we are on the same page:

1: Scrub the piece with 0000 steel wool while both are dry (don't worry about the scratches as they will disappear).  You might have to scrub pretty hard at first to get the piece to actually scratch.

2: Rinse the piece off and apply a generous amount of Dawn dish soap.  Then start to scrub the piece again with 0000 steel wool.  It might take more than one good scrubbing to get it shiny but you will be surprised by the results.

If you have a few stubborn spots you can hit them with some very fine grit sandpaper (I think I use 200, 300, and then 400).  Then just follow steps 1 and 2 and you will be in business.

If the piece has that white gray pitting all over it then you better really want it because it will take you forever to clean and you will cuss at it more than once and have to stop because you think your fingers are going to fall off.  Then you will be mad because you went through all that trouble for a $15 Wagner scoop  ;D ;D

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »
No Jeff, we still ain't got it yet.  ;D

IIIIII WAAAAANT TOOOOO KNOOOOOOW, DOOOO YOUUUUU, UUUUUUUSEEEEE, WAAAAATER, WIIIIIIITH THEEEEEE, DAAAAAWN?

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 05:09:03 AM »
Ohhh sorry Perry at my house we always use water with dish soap.  I don't know how they do it in Ohio   ::) ;D

But to answer your question you have to use water with the dish soap because the steel wool will just absorb it all if you don't.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 12:07:36 PM »
 Use 0000 steel wool with Mineral Oil to clean SS sinks. It will make them look good again.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:08:15 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
 Use 0000 steel wool with Mineral Oil to clean SS sinks. It will make them look good again.

Jerry, I'll have to try that.  Thanks for the tip.
Another thing about using steel wool of any grade.  Maybe a bit of useless information.  If you look at a pad of steel wool, you will see the strands running one direction.

If you use the wool with the steel strands running the same direction as grain in wood (for example) you wont change the appearance as much of the surface you are rubbing with the steel wool.  It will actually cut microscopic grooves in the material you are rubbing, the same direction as the "grain" , and blend in.

If you use the wool with the strands running cross grain to whatever your using it on, it will polish it and can make it shine more.   :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:07:04 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
Hey Will did you get the pan clean??

Offline Will Person

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »
Hey Will did you get the pan clean??

Nope.  Haven't had time.   Been working on my Dads tractor getting in put back together to hopefully run soon.   Also fixing my dads lawn mower.   Doing my Dads drywalling in his house.   Pretty much over there every night!!! ;D   To short of days.

Will 8-)