Author Topic: Before  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Before
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:25:52 PM »
There's a WI under there somewhere  ;D
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: Before
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:32:40 PM »
This one needs some help. It called to me. HELP!!!!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
It suuuuuree looks bad Chuck. You're really gonna need to put on your Medicine Man Bonnet, and come up with some really good potions to put this ole boy back on his feet. Do be sure and come back with your results now.  ;)

I see you put another one up while I was typing, I am talking about the waffle iron here.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:35:59 PM by butcher »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
This one is headed for the lye bath. I've learned that it's the easiest way to get all the crud off these early Griswold WI's. I should have listened to you sooner Perry. It would have saved me alot of hassle.  :)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:55:11 PM »
This one is headed for the lye bath. I've learned that it's the easiest way to get all the crud off these early Griswold WI's. I should have listened to you sooner Perry. It would have saved me alot of hassle.  :)

You can always tell somebody from Pennsylvania, but, you can't tell them much.  ;D

Oh, Chuck, did you see that very old Wagner Waffle Iron that Gomez found today, he posted pictures of it, its old, Wagner like this "WAGNER".

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 12:26:53 AM »
I did now. Those are 2 very nice pieces. I'm thinking the gem pan is an R & E manufacturing. I already have a Wagner like that, but that one should clean up really well.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »
Came out a little better than I thought they would.  :)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:19 PM »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:43:20 PM »
And the variation 11 of the #10 pop-over pan.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
Man I gotta get me some of that paint Chuck  ;D ;D  Those things turned out awesome.

Have you ever cleaned a closed frame #10??  If you haven't then don't.  IMO getting the area between the cups that is filled in (where yours is open) is probably the worst thing I have ever done while cleaning cast iron  >:(

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
Hello Chuck. You did a very impressive job on them two pieces, congrats.  ;)

And Jeff, the Favorite big pan, with the nine cups, the solid one, I think thats a pretty tough one to do too, especially on the underside, top side ain't too bad, but that underside is pretty challenging.

Janna

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »
Wow! Chuck, I'm amazed by the pieces you're able to bring back to life! I love all these "before and after" pictures. In fact, I'm beginning to think that restoring a piece that looks beyond all hope is the best part of this addiction  ;D

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
the Favorite big pan, with the nine cups, the solid one, I think thats a pretty tough one to do too, especially on the underside, top side ain't too bad, but that underside is pretty challenging.
It certainly is challenging... both cleaning AND seasoning.  That Favorite pan is a real beauty, but it's a LOT of work.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 10:21:49 PM »
Those are the pieces I dread. Any inside corner is a real pain to say the least. I have thought about using a flex shaft dremel type tool that I have. I can get tiny little wire wheels for it that would fit into those tight corners. I used to use it do do port and flow work on racing motors. The biggest problem is I don't like to use powered means of cleaning. I believe it polishes the iron, even with a stainless steel brush in it. JMHO, but all the manual work is worth the results.

Janna, you are right. I love to see what's under the gunk, and to see the piece as it was when it was used just a few times in the old kitchen. I've always been a "fixer", and iron let's me do that all the time.  :)