Author Topic: Help ! I need a Electrical Engineer  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Maynard Stanley Jr

Help ! I need a Electrical Engineer
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:12:33 AM »
I have a transformer and several Rectifiers, is there anyone on here that can tell me how to wire them up for cleaning Cast Iron ?
I have a  35 amp Battery charger but it only draws about 8 amps while cleaning, I thought it must be/ have some type of "regulator" built in, the transformer I have now looks to have 28 amp option. Thank you in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:54:49 AM by lillyc »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Offline Anthony Richerson

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Help ! I need a Electrical Engineer
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
That setup looks like a good way to get your shoes blown off.  :o The battery charger you have that is pulling only 8 amps is plenty, mine usually runs between 4 and 10 amps, it all depends on how big the anode and cathode is, the distance between them, and the amount of electrolyte in the water. The higher amperage only burns up your stainless faster and does not seem to clean any faster. jmo.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »
Maynard if you could tell us about your current setup (the things that Anthony stated) we can probably help you get more amps.  IMO anything over 20 just seems to heat the water (Chuck Rogers told me that but I had to find out on my own  :-[)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
Hello Maynard. Now Maynard, I am just a simple man. That setup you got there, to me, it looks like something out of a mad scientists laboratory, something like they made Frankenstein with, I have no idea what that is, but it looks pretty neat though, whatever it is.  :-/

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:12:40 PM »
Howdy All, thanks for your help and interest in my project, Perry I believe these items will be found in most battery chargers and in some DC arc welders ( smaller light weight versions), Jeff I would welcome help on getting more amps out of what I have, I like efficiency so I want all I can get. also I am interested in putting these parts together  and have it work cleaning my cast iron,  I have maybe 50 - 75 + pieces of CI still to clean ...... Its taking forever ..... how did this happen to me,  I caught this C.I. Bug ...  It started with that first fry pan.... it was so small ... and harmless looking, and other people were "Using" cast iron pans too,,,, not every one catches the C.I. bug.  lucky for me I found WAGs and all the fine foke that can share their C.I. Challenges and provide support in times of withdrawal ,  every ware I look small stacks one pan inside the other and another  .....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:15:42 PM by stan »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 05:22:09 AM »
Maynard what are you using for anode??  Also what are you using from an electrolyte??

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:50:35 AM »
I am using a 8 X 18 X 1/8 plate steel I am planing on getting a piece of stainless but haven't decided between solid plate or expanded.  For electrolyte I am using Arm and Hammer washing soda. I will put up a picture of my setup later. thank you

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »
Maynard a photo of your setup will help but if your measurements are all in inches then I would have to think your anode is just too small to draw many more amps.  You could always try adding more A&H Super Wash Soda.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »
Maynard, I would go with a solid sheet if you can as opposed to expanded metal.   I used a stainless restaurant serving platter for about a year when I made my first set up.  I cleaned one side then turned the piece around to clean the other.  It worked ok for me until this fella out of Ohio started selling these fancy stainless steel barrels.  He tricked me though and shipped it upside down so all the solution ran out of it.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:06:09 PM by rogbarfield »
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:12:22 AM »
 He tricked me though and shipped it upside down so all the solution ran out of it.  ;D
You too!!  I'm still waiting for my refund, as my barrel arrived totally empty as well
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
Maynard a photo of your setup will help but if your measurements are all in inches then I would have to think your anode is just too small to draw many more amps.  You could always try adding more A&H Super Wash Soda.

Here is a picture of my set up

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »
Well you certainly have a large enough charger.  That can only mean you either need more Super Wash Soda or the more probable solution is that you need a larger piece of stainless steel.

What gauge of wire are you running to the piece that you are cleaning??

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »
Well you certainly have a large enough charger.  That can only mean you either need more Super Wash Soda or the more probable solution is that you need a larger piece of stainless steel.

What gauge of wire are you running to the piece that you are cleaning??

I have two " S " hooks made from coat hanger and I ether hook the piece on or clamp it on.

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
Maynard I would try using something that is thicker gauge and possibly has an insulated coating.  I bought a pair of 8 AWG jumper cables at an auction that I cut down and use with a c clamp or a pair of Vise-Grips.  

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 06:48:09 AM »
I just picked up a 18in X 21in X 1/8 sheet of stainless it seems to be working much better

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »
I just picked up a 18in X 21in X 1/8 sheet of stainless it seems to be working much better

Hello Maynard. Glad to hear it is working much better. We tell everybody about using SS, but not everybody listens. Glad you did.  ;)

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »

We tell everybody about using SS, but not everybody listens. Glad you did.  ;)
Many of us know, but a lot of us dont have any access to scrap stainless steel sheets in our area.  Just try to find a sheet of stainless around here for miles.  Almost impossible to find anything other than small chunks of stainless in junkyards.  The only thing I had access to all the years I had an electro setup (even before wags) was new sheets, and the price was out of my league unless I hit a lottery, but never have.... :'(
Jerry

Offline I. Gomez

• Must find a #13 Griswold skillet...
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »
I found my SS at a used restaurant equipment place.  They take apart old SS counters and return vents from restaurants so I was able to pick up a nice grade of SS for a very good price.

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »
You might go by the neighborhood junky washer and dryer repair place of business. They have them in any town. They might just have a SS washer or dryer drum at a reasonable price that they have removed.....
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
Northeast Metal Processors Inc
Plantersville
Tupelo, MS 38801
(662) 844-2164

Jerry, if you want to start an electro up again sometime, you might try this place right here. They recycle scrap SS and said they sell it. They don't keep an inventory of it, they said to just come in and we'll see if we can't fix you up. So thats one option for you. I think that is somewheres near you.  :)