Author Topic: Can you identify a cast iron pan that has been ...  (Read 707 times)

Offline Shane Lewis

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Can you identify a cast iron pan that has been ...
« on: October 29, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »
... used to smelt lead?
I'm pretty new to cast iron collecting, and wonder if there is a way to tell if the pans I see at the flea markets have been used to melt / shape any lead?

My Grandpa had a #3 Lodge that he used to smelt lead for fishing weights / jigs (its still in my basement), and I remember my dad melting old tire weights down in either a cast iron pan or pot and pouring it into a corn shaped pan for some reason.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
Re: Can you identify a cast iron pan that has been ...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »
In general, you will see bits of lead stuck here and there.  Little silvery bits or streaks.  Poke at them with the tip of a knife or hard, pointed object and they will smear.  Shouldn't be too hard to recognize.

Tom

Offline Chuck Fredrickson

• LADY LIBERTY not cast iron but well seasoned
Re: Can you identify a cast iron pan that has been ...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
Shane - I'll add that if you know a  piece has been used to melt lead - do not use it for cooking. Beyond that, it's pretty much like Tom says.

There are small heavy pots out there that do have a history of being lead pots and are often confused with cookware. As far as 'cookware' goes, I've never run across one that I was suspect of, per say, but I've turned my back on many that just were too far gone to think I could restore them. There's plenty of good cast iron out and about. Unless it's something special I walk away.

~chuck