Author Topic: Cleaning Lids - Rust redeveloped?  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
Cleaning Lids - Rust redeveloped?
« on: November 02, 2013, 07:36:25 PM »
This is a follow-up to my question on seasoning a lid, or perhaps a prequel to that question, as it looks like I’m not quite ready for seasoning yet; I’m still in the cleaning stage. I’m a novice cleaner at best, and have only cleaned a few pieces, though have had success with my rudimentary methods until now. You know, the Easy-Off in a bag, vinegar soak and scrub method.

I used this method on my lid, and scrubbed off 98% of the rust after the vinegar soak, but there were still bits remaining under the lip and around the drip rings and lettering. I didn’t have time to completely finish (plus my arms were exhausted from all that scrubbing), so I re-sprayed with Easy-Off and put into a new bag. Big mistake, when I opened that bag three days later, the entire lid had re-rusted.

Was re-spraying the problem? Did I leave it in too long? I guess it would make sense that exposing bare iron to that moisture would immediately create rust, but I could swear I have read that this was a suggested way to neutralize any vinegar remnants after a soak, so I thought it was OK. Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly, so I’m hoping someone can tell me what I did wrong. I definitely don’t want to make this mistake again.

Time to scrub again … my boyfriend offered to build me an electro tank, tonight I’m definitely thinking of taking him up on that!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Cleaning Lids - Rust redeveloped?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Karen, the rust that developed in the oven cleaner bag should wash off easily.
It's sort of like flash rust x 100! :)

I have returned items to the lye bath to resoak (after derusting), and had the same issue... but it scrubbed off easily.
Are you using Stainless Steel scrubbies?
Just make sure that all the rust is gone before seasoning. (vinegar bath)
PS..... sodium hydroxide (lye or oven cleaner) does not remove rust... only old grease,oils, and paint.

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:29:53 PM »
Cheryl - I've been using #0000 steel wool to scrub, but also just got coarser stainless steel scrubbies (plus Chore Boy scrubbies and Barkeeper's Friend) for this little project. Hopefully I'm prepared, I won't let the rust defeat me!

I'm glad to hear that it's not just me with the re-rust. I didn't expect the lye was going to remove the remaining rust, I was just hoping it would protect the piece until I could finish cleaning it. Maybe instead I should have oiled it for temporary rust protection?

OK, flash rust x 100 ... I can do this. There will be no seasoning until ALL rust is gone. :)

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
Karen, it is not unusual. 
The Lye Bath will protect the piece from further 'bad' rusting.
It does wash off, honest! :)
Now, you do realize, that it is time to set up a Lye Bath, right? ;) ;)
It's endlessly reuseable (well almost), and soooo much cheaper.

I think that if you do your scrubbing with a Stainless Scrubby and Dawn, that you will find it cleans up quicker than with the steel wool... 0000 will clog up quickly.
And any flash rust will disappear with the first coat of oil.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:13:21 PM by lillyc »

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 10:26:54 PM »
What kind of stainless scrubbies do you use? I started with the kind I got (Libman Steel Scrubbers), but the rust wasn't coming off at all, so I went back to the steel wool, and it immediately started to scrub down. But you're right, fine steel wool definitely breaks down quickly, I went through four pads tonight.

I think I finally got the lid into seasoning ready condition, but that was a challenge. As I was scrubbing a portion of the lid, a previously scrubbed portion started flash rusting. I just kept chanting your words ... "any flash rust will disappear with the first coat of oil". But I did do a final scrub over the entire piece before drying it, just to be safe.

It's finally in the oven now, my fingers are crossed.

And yes, I do need a lye bath! Don't think that hasn't been on my mind when I'm buying those cans of oven cleaner.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 11:10:36 PM »
Karen, I use Scotchbite SS scrubbers... Home Depot or Walmart.

Be sure to use only COLD water when doing Final Scrub down, with constantly running water, and dry immediately and completely with paper towels.
Then into the oven at 250° for 20 minutes for drying. 
Then I increase temp in steps, to 500° , then apply oil.

Offline Jim Glatthaar

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »
Karen, you obviously have a great boyfriend, so let him build the electro tank. ;D

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
Karen, you obviously have a great boyfriend, so let him build the electro tank. ;D

Thats what I was thinkin too Jim. Let him build the tank.  ;)

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »
You guys are both right. As soon as I get a garage to put one in, I think he'll have a project. :)

Offline Jim Glatthaar

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »
A garage for Christmas?  Now there's a thought.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 12:33:11 AM »
Someone needs to order another one <garage> for me, for Christmas, too! ::)

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
Cheryl, if I get a duplicate gift this Christmas ("oh no, what will I do with TWO garages?"), you're the first person I'll think of.  ;)