Author Topic: Electro/Vinegar to Lye = Bad!  (Read 643 times)

Offline Trevor Lawrence

• Trust in the Lord
Electro/Vinegar to Lye = Bad!
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
Hey Guys,

I really need some help. I having been doing a good amount of iron lately and don't have enough time to do electro/vinegar and season in one night. So I put the pieces in the electro/vinegar and get them almost perfect looking... but i don't have time to season them, so i just throw them back in the lye bath.

When i goto get them out of the lye, they are all brown looking, the metal has an uneven appearance and has streaks/stains on them. Keep in mind the metal looked great (very uniform looking) and had a nice charcoal color after the E/V but before the lye.

What should i do since i can't do everything in one night??? Should i just put a cold coat of pam on them after i get them out of the electro/vinegar?

Sick of going round and round with this... its wasting a ton of time. Thanks for your help!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:21:16 PM by TLGriswold »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Electro/Vinegar to Lye = Bad!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »
Add more lye to the lye bath to increase the concentration.

Or just try thorough drying, including 20 min. @ 250°, and set aside.  See how that works, because ambient humidity levels should be lower at this time of year.

Offline Trevor Lawrence

• Trust in the Lord
Re: Electro/Vinegar to Lye = Bad!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:15:47 PM »
Add more lye to the lye bath to increase the concentration.

Or just try thorough drying, including 20 min. @ 250°, and set aside.  See how that works, because ambient humidity levels should be lower at this time of year.

Thanks Cheryl,

Just added more lye... its def the low level of food grade lye that makes them rust!

Ill try the drying process and see how that works. Hopefully it will... i only need a few days before i can get to them.