Author Topic: Aluminum - Car Wax good for user DOs?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Frank Mueller

• It's better to burn out than to rust away.
Aluminum - Car Wax good for user DOs?
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »
I have a few aluminum pieces that I'd like to put into use, including Wagner oval roasters 5, 7, and 9.  They have all been in the self cleaning oven, so technically I reckon they should be clean and good to go.

That said, I love the look of the polished aluminum ware Jake Weber and others have shown on the WAGS web site. I got myself some Mothers™ Aluminum Polish with the associated Powerball Mini.  The results on a little ice cream scoop I used as test object are everything I hoped for, but I started wondering, do I really want a layer of wax on my oval roasters?  Would that not come off during extended cooking times and potentially flavor the food in an undesirable way?

In short, is polishing aluminum suitable only for display pieces, or can it also be applied to user DOs?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:55:49 AM by fmueller »
Sapere Aude!

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
Re: Aluminum - Car Wax good for user DOs?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
Frank, I looked up the MSDS and don't see any wax in the Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish product (or anything I recognize as wax, maybe you know these names better than I do).  Looks like the paste itself can irritate and if burned can cause problems, but after being used it doesn't look like there is a lot left on the piece.

http://www.tompkins-co.org/msds/m2685.pdf

With all that said, I think I would be sure to wash the piece in really hot, soapy water first.  I suppose you could give it a wipe with an organic solvent like acetone before washing too.

Tom

Offline Frank Mueller

• It's better to burn out than to rust away.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
Tom - thanks for the quick response.  The MSDS applies mostly to working with the stuff. I am not concerned about that. I am sure it is harmless enough.

Mothers claim is for the product to 'shine and protect'.  I can not see how it could protect other than by leaving a protective layer behind on the metal.  My guess is that this layer consists of wax, but I could be wrong.  Chemically speaking, 'wax' could refer to any mix of organic compounds that are solid at room temperature.  Looking at the MSDS, any of the ingredients except NaOH might fit the bill, but I haven't looked up any melting points.

Without getting too scientific here, and boldly throwing any health concerns over board, will my turkey taste like an old candle if I fry it in a polished oval roaster?  I guess if y'all are polishing your user cast aluminum cookware, I wood take this as sufficient proof that I am making much ado about nothing.  However, if other WAGS members stay clear of polish and car wax products for aluminum cookware pieces they intent to use, than I would be quick to follow their example  ;)
Sapere Aude!

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:57:01 AM »
I'll be honest Frank, I don't normally polish any of my aluminum.  I just found the Mother's product to be a good tool when cleaning a very nice collector piece.

I see what you say about the ingredients, most of what is there seems to be liquid at room temp, but there is something else that makes it a paste.  Wax would be logical.

Still seems like hot water and soap ought to remove it.

Tom

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »
This would be an interesting question to pose on the Mother's Community Forum:
http://www.waxforum.com/index.php

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »
Interesting Cheryl.  Looks to me, reading the recommendations anyway, like there is no wax in the polish product.  The say to follow the Chrome Clad guidelines for protection.  Pasted below.

Chrome Clad – A relatively new type of factory wheel technology which offers the bling of chrome but without the toxic waste, chrome clad is a plastic cover with a chrome-look finish that is bonded to an aluminum or steel wheel. Generally a light tap with your finger will indicate a plastic-like dull sound, or you might see a telltale gap between where the cladding meets the edge of the rim. A popular option on many late-model Chrysler, Dodge, Ford and General Motors vehicles, chrome clad should be protected with a very mild wax product and polished only when necessary (refer to “Clearcoated or Painted” for polishing procedures).

"The proper product to protect chrome clad is 05701 or 05500 California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax. For added protection, follow with a detailer or spray wax such as our 08216 or 08224 Showtime, 20224 FX Spray Wax, 05724 California Gold Spray Wax; or use periodically, especially after a wash."

Tom

Offline Chuck Fredrickson

• LADY LIBERTY not cast iron but well seasoned
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
I have few aluminum items and only one I would consider cooking with - a nice lamb mold I recently picked up. Thing is, like the concern we all put on cleaning and seasoning our cast iron, I would be very hesitant to use something other than food-safe on an item I planned on cooking with.

If ya can't drink it don't mess with it.

For display only pieces it's a whole other story.

~chuck

Offline Jim Glatthaar

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:50:46 PM »
Frank, you raised a very good point.  I would not use a synthetic polish on any user piece for safety reasons.  Tom is probably right, it would wash off with some elbow grease, but why bother with any product which would require elbow grease every time I want to use it?