Author Topic: Using Carbon Graphite as an Anode  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Using Carbon Graphite as an Anode
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:28:14 AM »
Anyone done it? I found this information and was curious. I currently use stainless steel like most folks, but this is interesting, especially the part about stainless being toxic:

"The steel or iron used as the anode is sacrificed in electrolysis, as the anode rusts (oxidizes) and the cathode de-rusts (reduces). Many people try stainless steel, brass, and aluminum as their anodes, due to the familiar corrosion-resistant properties of those materials. Unfortunately, stainless steel releases toxic materials as it decays, brass deposits copper onto the cathode (which accelerates rusting of steel), and aluminum quickly deteriorates.

However, there is a conductive material that can be successfully utilized as an almost non-sacrificial anode in electrolysis: graphite. Graphite is an electrically conductive form of solid carbon. You probably recognize graphite as the material in the center of a pencil.

Fine-grained graphite rods and plates can be obtained from McMaster-Carr or other distributors. Scrap and worn pieces can be purchased from eBay. I bought a box that had been used for electrical discharge machining (EDM)."
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:30:34 AM by fished-out »

Offline Mike Goulet

Re: Using Carbon Graphite as an Anode
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
Actually there's an guy  on youtube that uses it in his electro bath,  and says  it makes less of a mess and conducts much better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOx5URgjTiU
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:22:14 PM by Sanity »

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:25:26 AM »
Interesting. What attracts me is the idea that it loses so little of its surface; it appears that you would have to do less cleaning and that it would last longer than stainless steel. I use old ss skillets and other items as anodes. I can actually feel the ss getting lighter over time, so I know it loses mass. For those who use ss tubs and drums, I wonder if they eventually breech. Would be quite a mess, but I imagine it takes forever to happen, if it happens at all.

Anyone know what the "toxic" effect of using ss as an anode is all about?

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »
It would be interesting to try.  I was concerned about finding a plate big enough, but I see there are lots of them for sale on eBay.

Offline Trevor Lawrence

• Trust in the Lord
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
Never thought of graphite... i actually have some small long plates that my old job was throwing away (they are new).

I have also thought about carbon fiber (my company makes carbon fiber parts). But there is resin and sometimes fiberglass in the material which I would be worried about.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:53:02 AM by TLGriswold »

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:30:58 AM »
Might be worth trying on a throwaway, but I wouldn't risk something worthwhile given the fiberglass.

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 06:33:40 AM »
It would be interesting to try.  I was concerned about finding a plate big enough, but I see there are lots of them for sale on eBay.

Yep, but I wonder at the size--most of the pieces look pretty small. Most of the time, they're sold by the box. I suppose you could daisy chain them. Even better, perhaps just attach them to a SS plate. Probably last forever given the low mass loss rate.